Lap Lanes Etiquette

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools?
Parents
  • Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools? I've been swimming since age 8; Masters since age 34 (now 60 yrs. old). I understand about YMCAs....I grew up in one and have done almost all my masters swimming/"training" in a Y pool. All kinds of people use the Y pools. We recently moved to FL part-time. The Y nearby has an outdoor pool. I usually come to FL in Sept. or October each year. This year I signed up for the 200 back at the Huntsman Games. (I am a sprinter.) I was working hard getting ready for my 200 back. One day, I was doing some repeat 200 backs, saw a guy get in my lane near the end of 100 yds., I move to one side of the lane after my flip turn(they "split" lanes at that Y). As I turned on the belly at the 150, there he was again, at the wall of the pool, standing in the middle of my lane. I flipturned NEXT to his body and mentally got ready for my last 50. He LITERALLY grabbed my ankle/leg to stop me to tell me he was going to swim in my lane. I was LIVID. Never in all my years has that previously happened. Yelling and screaming followed. He accused me of being a SELFISH SHOWOFF. (I had never even seen this man at the Y.) I got out, still livid, with the lifeguard just staring at me. I have never been back to that Y!
  • Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools? I've been swimming since age 8; Masters since age 34 (now 60 yrs. old). I understand about YMCAs....I grew up in one and have done almost all my masters swimming/"training" in a Y pool. All kinds of people use the Y pools. We recently moved to FL part-time. The Y nearby has an outdoor pool. I usually come to FL in Sept. or October each year. This year I signed up for the 200 back at the Huntsman Games. (I am a sprinter.) I was working hard getting ready for my 200 back. One day, I was doing some repeat 200 backs, saw a guy get in my lane near the end of 100 yds., I move to one side of the lane after my flip turn(they "split" lanes at that Y). As I turned on the belly at the 150, there he was again, at the wall of the pool, standing in the middle of my lane. I flipturned NEXT to his body and mentally got ready for my last 50. He LITERALLY grabbed my ankle/leg to stop me to tell me he was going to swim in my lane. I was LIVID. Never in all my years has that previously happened. Yelling and screaming followed. He accused me of being a SELFISH SHOWOFF. (I had never even seen this man at the Y.) I got out, still livid, with the lifeguard just staring at me. I have never been back to that Y!
Children
No Data