Lap Lanes Etiquette

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools?
Parents
  • I hear what you're saying Michael and totally agree. When I'm at the pool doing my own workout outside of Maters, I defnitely keep an eye out for others wanting to jump into the lane. Most times, I only swim on one side of the lane so someone else feels welcome to get into the other side. Even at Master's practice, the first 10 minutes or so, there are one or two guys who are normal stragglers that will jump in so we never really expect a lane to ourselves. This knucklehead came in 30 minutes into a 1 hour Master's practice and just jumped in without even letting me know he was there. It was dangerous and we dang near collided head-on because I wasn't expecting him to be there at all. Had he been at the end or even waved a toy in my face at the end, it would've been a completely different story, but he didn't. That was what the rant was about.
  • I hear what you're saying Michael and totally agree. When I'm at the pool doing my own workout outside of Maters, I defnitely keep an eye out for others wanting to jump into the lane. Most times, I only swim on one side of the lane so someone else feels welcome to get into the other side. Even at Master's practice, the first 10 minutes or so, there are one or two guys who are normal stragglers that will jump in so we never really expect a lane to ourselves. This knucklehead came in 30 minutes into a 1 hour Master's practice and just jumped in without even letting me know he was there. It was dangerous and we dang near collided head-on because I wasn't expecting him to be there at all. Had he been at the end or even waved a toy in my face at the end, it would've been a completely different story, but he didn't. That was what the rant was about.
Children
No Data