Lap Lanes Etiquette

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools?
Parents
  • My experience in lap lane swimming is that unless the lifeguards are on the ball and actually controlling the experience, it is everyone for themselves. Most people want a lane by themselves, but will split a lane with someone else in order to seal off entry to anyone else. Forcing someone to ask to join a lane is pretty selfish behavior unless you already have three or more and have all agreed upon a workout set. Otherwise, it is fair game to join any lane at any time, no matter what speed is going on. Obviously, this would presume good sense is being used, but that also seems to be lacking in these lanes. I never ever ask to join a lane with one or two people. Usually it is because they already know I am there, letting me know by suddenly engaging in a massive distance swim that requires them to never stop at the wall upon which I am standing. This behavior is not saved only for me, I have witnessed it many times for other swimmers. If I am in the water already, I will beckon anyone waiting on deck into my lane. Common courtesy dictates that if you did not pay for an entire lane to swim in alone, you only paid to swim in the pool with others. If the lanes have speed markings, common sense dictates that you make a reasonable estimate of your own abilities before joining. As stated before, both of these qualities seem to be in short supply at some pools, apply the standards at you own peril.
  • My experience in lap lane swimming is that unless the lifeguards are on the ball and actually controlling the experience, it is everyone for themselves. Most people want a lane by themselves, but will split a lane with someone else in order to seal off entry to anyone else. Forcing someone to ask to join a lane is pretty selfish behavior unless you already have three or more and have all agreed upon a workout set. Otherwise, it is fair game to join any lane at any time, no matter what speed is going on. Obviously, this would presume good sense is being used, but that also seems to be lacking in these lanes. I never ever ask to join a lane with one or two people. Usually it is because they already know I am there, letting me know by suddenly engaging in a massive distance swim that requires them to never stop at the wall upon which I am standing. This behavior is not saved only for me, I have witnessed it many times for other swimmers. If I am in the water already, I will beckon anyone waiting on deck into my lane. Common courtesy dictates that if you did not pay for an entire lane to swim in alone, you only paid to swim in the pool with others. If the lanes have speed markings, common sense dictates that you make a reasonable estimate of your own abilities before joining. As stated before, both of these qualities seem to be in short supply at some pools, apply the standards at you own peril.
Children
No Data