Wrist Watch Lap Timer For Swimming Pools: Does One Exist?

Former Member
Former Member
Is there a wrist watch with a lap timer that works for swimming laps? Is anybody using one successfully? Which brand and model is it? Do you hold the watch face down while pushing the lap button, or take any other steps to prevent water entry? Casio and Timex both make wrist watch lap timers. Timex even sells theirs under the brand name IRONMAN Triathlon. What their advertising and marketing literature typically doesn't tell you, but a call to either companies customer service will reveal, is that they both strongly advise against pushing the lap timer button under water. What is less clear is pushing the button immediately after a lap, with the watch held in air, but still wet. I could not get either company's customer service to say it was OK to push the lap button then; but they seemed less adamant that that wouldn't work.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    I have been using the same Timex Ironman watch for the last 5 years. I use the buttons underwater all the time and I have never had any problems with water getting inside. The buttons do not actually penetrate into the interior of the watch. They are merely plungers that push against a rubber membrane and the membranes push a small button inside the watch. Assuming that the membranes don’t crack, I don’t think there is much to worry about.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    I have been using the same Timex Ironman watch for the last 5 years. I use the buttons underwater all the time and I have never had any problems with water getting inside. The buttons do not actually penetrate into the interior of the watch. They are merely plungers that push against a rubber membrane and the membranes push a small button inside the watch. Assuming that the membranes don’t crack, I don’t think there is much to worry about.
Children
No Data