Very Inexpensive Chlorine Remover

There is a product on the market to remove chlorine from hair and skin (Swim Spray) that costs $12.95 for a 4oz bottle, on their website. If you look at the ingredients of Swim Spray, there are only two: Water and ascorbic acid (vitamin C). After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water. I just purchased a bottle of Vitamin C crystals from Trader Joe's for $11.99. I am going to use my empty 2oz. free sample of Swim Spray to refill it with my own mix for a cost of about $0.13 per bottle (there are 908- 1/8 teaspoons in the bottle of crystals)! $0.13 vs $6.50 for 2 ounces of Swim Spray. That gives you an idea of how much $ goes into packaging, marketing, salaries, and all of the other overhead expenses to bring a product to market. :afraid: By the way, if you there is not a Trader Joe's near you, Vitamin C crystals can be purchased online. Just use an empty travel size hairspray bottle, mix up a batch, and throw the bottle in your swim bag. After your swim, briefly rinse off in the shower, spray your hair and skin, wait a few seconds, then rinse. Now you can use your shampoo and body wash or soap as usual. Edit: I previously typed in 1/4 tsp., rather than 1tsp. (in bold). Sorry for the mistake!
  • Thanx for the cost saving $$$$ tip.
  • Thanks for the great tip! I'm at the bottom of a bottle right now, in fact. Yay!
  • Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too? www.amazon.com/.../B000GFSV3M Sure, you can find Vit C crystals at many other stores, but I believe Trader Joe's is the least expensive option. So, why not save even more $? Besides, I love shopping at Trader Joe's and supporting a company that is good to their employees and customers! :applaud: Regarding your link, those crystals are $18.49 vs. $11.99 at Trader Joe's, for the same amount. :D As for my mixing plan, I just realized I made a mistake above and will fix it. It's 1 tsp./ one pint. So, I am taking 1/8tsp. and adding it to my 2 ounce bottle. And, yes, I'm doing it one bottle at a time.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Are you mixing up a pint bottle and then filling the 2 oz bottle as needed? Luckily I have a Trader Joe's near me but might not GNC or Whole Foods have the Vit C crystals too? www.amazon.com/.../B000GFSV3M
  • So, have you tried it yet, and does it work? I have a bottle ready to go, however, I am using up the last of my other sample bottle of SwimSpray first.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    So, have you tried it yet, and does it work?
  • After doing a few minutes of research online, I learned that I could make my own spray by adding 1tsp. of Vitamin C crystals to a pint spray bottle of water. I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening.
  • I am very interested in hearing how well your home-made version works, Elaine. I was looking at doing something like this, but with a liquid vitamin C. From the research I did, vitamin C in liquid form has a very short lifespan, and that there was something special about the Swim Spray formula that prevented the break-down (oxidation) of the ascorbic acid. I'm no chemist, but maybe you've hit on the correct form of vitamin C (crystals) that prevents this from happening. Hey Deb! :wave: I found this same tip on several different websites; it seems to be a common homemade chlorine remover. And, on each website, crystals were recommended. I will hunt around the house for another spray bottle, mix up a batch, and report back here. The remaining SwimSpray sample can wait... EDIT: I found a small sample hairspray bottle and dumped the few drops that were left, washed it out very well, and mixed up a batch. I will take it to the pool tomorrow and make sure to take a long dunk in the chlorinated outdoor pool, after my workout in the indoor saline pool, since there is more chlorine out there. I will post by tomorrow night.
  • I tried this and it seems to work ok. Originally came across this in another thread (where ElaineK did some investigating); forums.usms.org/showthread.php It does cut down on the chlorine smell. Also my hair (what little I have) is a little less stiff\manageable (who am kidding, I'm balding with a crewcut). I used 1 tablespoon to every 8 ounces, however I might try a lower concentration with the next batch I make. I have a large spray bottle (32oz) that I bought for 99 cents at a big box store. Fill it about half way and add 2 tablespoons. Don't fill the bottle all the way so you can shake\mix the solution more easily. After a swim I spray myself down and quickly rub in like suntan lotion to make sure I get everywhere. Wait a minute and then shower with regular soap\shampoo to rinse. Edit: I used the Trader Joes vitamin C crystals as well.
  • This is a great idea, but I choose to embrace my chlorine smell.