Question about water in the nose

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I just registered. I live in EU, but I just wanted to ask some pro's about this. So, I tried swimming underwater dolphin kick on my back today and it went quite well after a few tries, after I had gotten used to having water up in the nose. My question though is if this can be applied to diving as well. The local swimming pools deepest basin is 13 feet deep and I can almost dive to the very bottom of the pool by holding my nose and trying to equalize the pressure (needs some more work though, it's as if water is getting through my ears or something). So, when I'm used to having water up in the nose, can I just fill my entire head with water for an equal amount of pressure on it, or would the breath-holding-thing in the throat give up because of the pressure and I'll drown? I'm asking because I'd rather not have to wear a diving mask, just goggles, but if that's the way I have to go, I guess there's no way around it. I'm not going to do any freediving, just random diving to 30 feet or so (for dolphins in the future, I'm training hard)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    You cannot equalize the air pressure in swim googles like you can in a scuba mask. If you dive too deep you may get some "raccoon eyes" from the pressure. If you go deeper you may cause some blood vessels to rupture giving you red, bloodshot eyes. I don't think 13 feet wil be too bad but 30 feet my not feel too good. Buy or borrow a scuba mask if you can. You can let air out of your nose to equalize the pressure in the mask. Hmm, I never thought about that. I can see your logic. I guess I do have to wear a scuba mask afterall then. It just looks so stupid. And it probably restricts streamlining a lot. Not sure you'd drown, but you wouldn't be happy. The short answer is, no, you can't do that. I thought so. I just wanted to make sure, cause it was kind of a random idea that got into my head. Imagine if I actually tried it lol.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    You cannot equalize the air pressure in swim googles like you can in a scuba mask. If you dive too deep you may get some "raccoon eyes" from the pressure. If you go deeper you may cause some blood vessels to rupture giving you red, bloodshot eyes. I don't think 13 feet wil be too bad but 30 feet my not feel too good. Buy or borrow a scuba mask if you can. You can let air out of your nose to equalize the pressure in the mask. Hmm, I never thought about that. I can see your logic. I guess I do have to wear a scuba mask afterall then. It just looks so stupid. And it probably restricts streamlining a lot. Not sure you'd drown, but you wouldn't be happy. The short answer is, no, you can't do that. I thought so. I just wanted to make sure, cause it was kind of a random idea that got into my head. Imagine if I actually tried it lol.
Children
No Data