Water in you ears?

It only took me 50 years to figure out how to get excess water out of my ears after a workout without doing the "one legged-banging-head-with-palm" dance. Paper towels, napkins, or even newsprint will work. Don't use polished or bond paper, it is way too tough on the flesh and doesn't absorb very well. Through the magic of capillary action, you can remove 94% of the offending water simply by putting your finger in a paper towel and sticking it into your ear. No need to wiggle it around or push hard. As long as the paper touches water, it will drain most moisture out of a healthy ear. Amazing but true. I don't know why my towel cannot do this, but have had remarkable success over the last 6 months since I gave it a try. Cheers and good drainage!
  • Thanks 'jerz! Your explanation was much more thorough than mine. :agree: Environmental Engineers are either trying to grow those little guys so they'll eat wastes, or kill them so they won't proliferate in our drinking and swimming water and infect us.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    The iso alcohol dries moisture through increased evaporation, while the white vinegar is a "disinfectant" in that it is acetic acid, thus drops the pH, and provides a low pH environment where bacteria won't thrive. The way it works is that the alcohol changes the surface tension of the liquid so that it drains from the ears. I prefer a mixture of 4 part cheap gin and 1 part white vinegar myself. :)
  • I just let the water stay in there. It gets changed every time I swimThis smart aleck comment just led me to an ear infection. Dr. prescribed ciprofloxacin for a week with no swimming. Shoulder needs a break anyways.
  • a week? btw, nice name! 50/50 alky and vinegar and you can swim saturday with no pain. just douse it good....use mike's gin for added "i dont care" management in the tummy. :D
  • a week? btw, nice name! 50/50 alky and vinegar and you can swim saturday with no pain. just douse it good....use mike's gin for added "i dont care" management in the tummy. :DThanks Steve, though Gin is a little pricey, I might try it (depending on the co-pay)
  • when it comes to shoulder...i know a lot about those too....unfortunately! ice, more ice, 800mg ibuprofin (or in my case 6x a day) and put off the surgery for a while in the false hopes rehab works. hmmm when written like that it dont sound too good does it? ears? eh you dont even need them to swim. btw you can add 1 or 2 drops of mineral oil to the 50/50 mix to keep your ear from drying out too much. hopefully everyone knows about the milk or sweet cream in the eyes to remove chlorine burn.
  • Former Member
    Hi, (I'm new) There is lots of good advice here, thanks. It is so interesting how everybody has very different approaches. I came across this site www.wikihow.com/Remove-Fluid-in-Ears The pictures made me laugh. Even more so as I have seen people doing most of these outside the lockers.
  • Former Member
    Thanks Steve, though Gin is a little pricey, I might try it (depending on the co-pay) I priced cheap gin while at Total Wine today. “American Pride” gin cost about $6.50 per fifth. A fifth should make enough ear drops to last a decade. If there is a remote chance that someone would actually drink some of it, I would suggest getting a better brand booze.:D
  • Former Member
    Hi, (I'm new) There is lots of good advice here, thanks. It is so interesting how everybody has very different approaches. I came across this site www.wikihow.com/Remove-Fluid-in-Ears The pictures made me laugh. Even more so as I have seen people doing most of these outside the lockers. Those pictures are hilarious. :lmao:
  • Former Member
    hmm, I've been using equal parts peroxide/white vinegar. Does peroxide do the same thing as alcohol?