Building up endurance - 9 year old kid

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I've been following this forum for more then a year and this is my first post here. My daughter is 9 years old and she has been swimming for 2 years. For the last 8 months she's been training 4 days per week; half-hour dryland, one hour pool. She is a happy swimmer and they have great friendship within the team. Her free and breaststroke styles are quite fine. Her short-course(25m) 50meter times are: Free 40 ; Back 48 ; *** 51 ; Fly 50 But whenever she's in a meet, her stamina drops clearly at around 35m. As for the freestyle, her 25meter time is around 16 seconds. She usually turns before her friends, falls behind at last 15meter. It disappoints her. How can we help her to build up her endurance? What should we have her eat before the meet? Should we take her out for jogging, hiking, biking or any other physical activity? All suggestions and hints are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Missed to reply to your message sorry. Thanks for the interest and I'm also interested to know about the yardage/days of your girls and their progresses. Hi, My younger daughter made last June in LCM: 37.54 (50 FR); 40.13 (50 FLY) 39.88 (50 Back); 45.58 (50 BR) and 03:01.85 (200 FR). My elder daughter's time in LCM are 28.52 (50 FR); 1:02.92 (100 FR relays); 36.89 (50 BR); 1:20.46 (100 BR); 30.41 (50 FLY); My younger daughter is making above times for the last 6-8 months (no progress), but I must admit that she is doing so without any hard efforts. For the last 6 months I'd say that she barely swims 2-2,5 km a day (and instead of 6 days a week as she used to before and well over 3,5 km a days, she now swims only 3-4 days a week). But since her times are okay and I want her to have fun, I let her do whatever she wants with her training schedule. Unlike my younger daughter, my elder one needs to put a lot of efforts as obviously this is not her thing (despite that timings are okay so far), but she is determined to achieve better results (especially she is discouraged when she sees that her younger sister outswims her competition without any effort and hard work prior the competition). She swims 5 days a week (5 km approx. per session) and she does other sports to gain benefits for her swimming. So sometimes I try to cut her training time, cause after all, summer is outside.. and I try to explain her that she needs to put more effort due her father's (my) mistake to work on her stroke and swimming while she was 10 (she started to swim at 9,5), 11 and 12 (we lost those years, cause I let her swim in a club with a very poor coach). Just less than half a year ago I was the "pushiest" parent, but then I've identified that this is wrong approach. Now I only provide advise for her technique, bought a membership card for local wellness center (so she can relax at the end of the week), drink my cider while watching her swim and smile even when she does something wrong. Recently former Olympian (2008 and 2012 Olympics) started to work for one of the local clubs as a coach. I do not know if this is temporary or permanent thing (as far as I know - temporary, but I hope to be wrong), but I intend to ask him to give my both daughters some technique wise /morale wise /attitude wise sort of advises (paid private lessons) that could become a push which comes from the outside. But I'm not sure if he shall agree or not. So my advise to you is to keep working on the technique (constantly without days off) and to keep modest yardage per session, cause yardage does matter after age of 13-14 when she will need endurance.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Missed to reply to your message sorry. Thanks for the interest and I'm also interested to know about the yardage/days of your girls and their progresses. Hi, My younger daughter made last June in LCM: 37.54 (50 FR); 40.13 (50 FLY) 39.88 (50 Back); 45.58 (50 BR) and 03:01.85 (200 FR). My elder daughter's time in LCM are 28.52 (50 FR); 1:02.92 (100 FR relays); 36.89 (50 BR); 1:20.46 (100 BR); 30.41 (50 FLY); My younger daughter is making above times for the last 6-8 months (no progress), but I must admit that she is doing so without any hard efforts. For the last 6 months I'd say that she barely swims 2-2,5 km a day (and instead of 6 days a week as she used to before and well over 3,5 km a days, she now swims only 3-4 days a week). But since her times are okay and I want her to have fun, I let her do whatever she wants with her training schedule. Unlike my younger daughter, my elder one needs to put a lot of efforts as obviously this is not her thing (despite that timings are okay so far), but she is determined to achieve better results (especially she is discouraged when she sees that her younger sister outswims her competition without any effort and hard work prior the competition). She swims 5 days a week (5 km approx. per session) and she does other sports to gain benefits for her swimming. So sometimes I try to cut her training time, cause after all, summer is outside.. and I try to explain her that she needs to put more effort due her father's (my) mistake to work on her stroke and swimming while she was 10 (she started to swim at 9,5), 11 and 12 (we lost those years, cause I let her swim in a club with a very poor coach). Just less than half a year ago I was the "pushiest" parent, but then I've identified that this is wrong approach. Now I only provide advise for her technique, bought a membership card for local wellness center (so she can relax at the end of the week), drink my cider while watching her swim and smile even when she does something wrong. Recently former Olympian (2008 and 2012 Olympics) started to work for one of the local clubs as a coach. I do not know if this is temporary or permanent thing (as far as I know - temporary, but I hope to be wrong), but I intend to ask him to give my both daughters some technique wise /morale wise /attitude wise sort of advises (paid private lessons) that could become a push which comes from the outside. But I'm not sure if he shall agree or not. So my advise to you is to keep working on the technique (constantly without days off) and to keep modest yardage per session, cause yardage does matter after age of 13-14 when she will need endurance.
Children
No Data