Developing power and endurance - with the right stroke

I've been focusing on stroke work for the past year or so and I'm hitting on a phase I'm hoping others have hit and have answers to. My 75-85% efforts are when my stroke is best but 1) It seems to fall apart when I really put the pedal to the metal and 2) If I try to slow down to build endurance, the stroke also does not stay together. If I can't maintain stroke mechanics during peak sprints or cardio/muscular endurance sets would that amount to garbage yardage? This funky middle ground means I get some decent effort in practice, but it seems too short compared to other swimmers workouts. Without building power or endurance using 'the right stroke' I worry that I'm not really making as good of progress as I can. Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • I've been focusing on stroke work for the past year or so and I'm hitting on a phase I'm hoping others have hit and have answers to. My 75-85% efforts are when my stroke is best but 1) It seems to fall apart when I really put the pedal to the metal and 2) If I try to slow down to build endurance, the stroke also does not stay together. If I can't maintain stroke mechanics during peak sprints or cardio/muscular endurance sets would that amount to garbage yardage? This funky middle ground means I get some decent effort in practice, but it seems too short compared to other swimmers workouts. Without building power or endurance using 'the right stroke' I worry that I'm not really making as good of progress as I can. Thanks in advance. That describes my experience pretty well. But I haven't found the answer to it. My guess is that, now that I am working on technique (something I never used to do), I am using muscles that are not accustomed to being worked, so they tire quickly at sprint speed or at distances longer than 50s and 100s - hence the stroke falling apart phenomenon. My hope is that by maintaining good technique as much as possible, those "new" muscles will eventually adapt and hold up better. We'll see...(sure seems to be taking a long time though!) If you find something that works, please post again.
  • I've been focusing on stroke work for the past year or so and I'm hitting on a phase I'm hoping others have hit and have answers to. My 75-85% efforts are when my stroke is best but 1) It seems to fall apart when I really put the pedal to the metal and 2) If I try to slow down to build endurance, the stroke also does not stay together. If I can't maintain stroke mechanics during peak sprints or cardio/muscular endurance sets would that amount to garbage yardage? This funky middle ground means I get some decent effort in practice, but it seems too short compared to other swimmers workouts. Without building power or endurance using 'the right stroke' I worry that I'm not really making as good of progress as I can. Thanks in advance. That describes my experience pretty well. But I haven't found the answer to it. My guess is that, now that I am working on technique (something I never used to do), I am using muscles that are not accustomed to being worked, so they tire quickly at sprint speed or at distances longer than 50s and 100s - hence the stroke falling apart phenomenon. My hope is that by maintaining good technique as much as possible, those "new" muscles will eventually adapt and hold up better. We'll see...(sure seems to be taking a long time though!) If you find something that works, please post again.
Children
No Data