Developing power and endurance - with the right stroke

I've been focusing on stroke work for the past year or so and I'm hitting on a phase I'm hoping others have hit and have answers to. My 75-85% efforts are when my stroke is best but 1) It seems to fall apart when I really put the pedal to the metal and 2) If I try to slow down to build endurance, the stroke also does not stay together. If I can't maintain stroke mechanics during peak sprints or cardio/muscular endurance sets would that amount to garbage yardage? This funky middle ground means I get some decent effort in practice, but it seems too short compared to other swimmers workouts. Without building power or endurance using 'the right stroke' I worry that I'm not really making as good of progress as I can. Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • Swimosaur I think you are right, I'll never do the yardage that the cardio set does. And while I feel like my stroke work is on its way to accomplishing some of my goals, I feel like I need to find a way to build endurance with 'the right stroke' and be able to apply power to it without everything falling apart. Similarly, I should also be able to use the same stroke while swimming at an easy pace. I wouldn't say I am a sprinter either (middle distance seems to be my strength), I do know even for dyed-in-the-wool distance swimmers sprint/power work is important too : ) Thanks for the feedback.
  • Swimosaur I think you are right, I'll never do the yardage that the cardio set does. And while I feel like my stroke work is on its way to accomplishing some of my goals, I feel like I need to find a way to build endurance with 'the right stroke' and be able to apply power to it without everything falling apart. Similarly, I should also be able to use the same stroke while swimming at an easy pace. I wouldn't say I am a sprinter either (middle distance seems to be my strength), I do know even for dyed-in-the-wool distance swimmers sprint/power work is important too : ) Thanks for the feedback.
Children
No Data