Returning to the pool - Can't do > 12.5 yards freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
This is awful. I really want to be able to swim freestyle - I can do the *** stroke no problem. I'm taking a workshop and my instructor tells me "your freestyle stroke is very strong" but I'm so WEAK! I'm swimming in a 25 yard pool and I can't make it much more than halfway across the $#$@! pool without having to break into the *** stroke, and I feel like I am just dying. I'm not in HORRIBLE shape, but not great shape (the current shape is round but my lifestyle changes will eliminate that in time)...I do martial arts, circuit training, can walk 2 miles without a problem. What can I do to work up to freestyle without killing myself? I don't want to shorten my swims by trying to do freestyle and then dying and having to settle for less time in the water/moving around/burning it off. Help!
Parents
  • I tried using some fins this morning too - I have a post on the thread called "fins" and am afraid I felt like I was cheating. I was across the 25 yard pool in 20 seconds!!! I feel like the fins stabilized my body and made me nice and flat - but is it cheating? I was still breathing hard and working out... Its only cheating if you try entering a race with the fins. Otherwise it's definitely not cheating and a good method of improving parts of your stroke. Many other swiming tools/toys enable you to concentrate on particular parts of your stroke, and overall make you a better swimmer.
  • I tried using some fins this morning too - I have a post on the thread called "fins" and am afraid I felt like I was cheating. I was across the 25 yard pool in 20 seconds!!! I feel like the fins stabilized my body and made me nice and flat - but is it cheating? I was still breathing hard and working out... Its only cheating if you try entering a race with the fins. Otherwise it's definitely not cheating and a good method of improving parts of your stroke. Many other swiming tools/toys enable you to concentrate on particular parts of your stroke, and overall make you a better swimmer.
Children
No Data