Returning to the pool - Can't do > 12.5 yards freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
This is awful. I really want to be able to swim freestyle - I can do the *** stroke no problem. I'm taking a workshop and my instructor tells me "your freestyle stroke is very strong" but I'm so WEAK! I'm swimming in a 25 yard pool and I can't make it much more than halfway across the $#$@! pool without having to break into the *** stroke, and I feel like I am just dying. I'm not in HORRIBLE shape, but not great shape (the current shape is round but my lifestyle changes will eliminate that in time)...I do martial arts, circuit training, can walk 2 miles without a problem. What can I do to work up to freestyle without killing myself? I don't want to shorten my swims by trying to do freestyle and then dying and having to settle for less time in the water/moving around/burning it off. Help!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Steve - I like your approach. That's how I'm approaching my entire lifestyle change. I can't be in a rush to drop 70 lbs, but my daily routine and changes will accomplish it in time! Today was a huge improvement. I was shown those floating things you put between your legs where you don't use your legs at all, you use your arms. I did about 3 laps like that and tried it on my own and guess what? 2 back to back 25 yard lengths were the result! I also figured out that I'd get about halfway through a 25 yard length, get tired and begin to panic, and flail. That used up all my energy. The floating things helped me establish a steady rhythm without flailing and using my energy up. The result was me swimming about 250 yards freestyle today! YAY!!!!!! I know I'll have good days and not so good days but I refuse to give up. Thanks for all of the encouragement! This big girl has a slim fit girl inside chewing her way out....
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Steve - I like your approach. That's how I'm approaching my entire lifestyle change. I can't be in a rush to drop 70 lbs, but my daily routine and changes will accomplish it in time! Today was a huge improvement. I was shown those floating things you put between your legs where you don't use your legs at all, you use your arms. I did about 3 laps like that and tried it on my own and guess what? 2 back to back 25 yard lengths were the result! I also figured out that I'd get about halfway through a 25 yard length, get tired and begin to panic, and flail. That used up all my energy. The floating things helped me establish a steady rhythm without flailing and using my energy up. The result was me swimming about 250 yards freestyle today! YAY!!!!!! I know I'll have good days and not so good days but I refuse to give up. Thanks for all of the encouragement! This big girl has a slim fit girl inside chewing her way out....
Children
No Data