Returning to the pool - Can't do > 12.5 yards freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
This is awful. I really want to be able to swim freestyle - I can do the *** stroke no problem. I'm taking a workshop and my instructor tells me "your freestyle stroke is very strong" but I'm so WEAK! I'm swimming in a 25 yard pool and I can't make it much more than halfway across the $#$@! pool without having to break into the *** stroke, and I feel like I am just dying. I'm not in HORRIBLE shape, but not great shape (the current shape is round but my lifestyle changes will eliminate that in time)...I do martial arts, circuit training, can walk 2 miles without a problem. What can I do to work up to freestyle without killing myself? I don't want to shorten my swims by trying to do freestyle and then dying and having to settle for less time in the water/moving around/burning it off. Help!
Parents
  • I was roughly at the same point with swimming ability around 5 years ago, maybe a little better, I had trouble with a length of freestyle. When starting out swimming, don't view it as an endpoint of exercise (because it will always be excellent exercise), but view it as a skill to master, the fitness will always occur. Think of efficiency and study the mechanics of proper form from the pros.
  • I was roughly at the same point with swimming ability around 5 years ago, maybe a little better, I had trouble with a length of freestyle. When starting out swimming, don't view it as an endpoint of exercise (because it will always be excellent exercise), but view it as a skill to master, the fitness will always occur. Think of efficiency and study the mechanics of proper form from the pros.
Children
No Data