Pool Length

Yesterday I swam in a pool I had never been to before. The pool is 30.5 meters (33.3 yards) long X 20 yards wide. Starting blocks were on the 20 yards. Why would a pool be built at 30.5 meters? Would you change your workout to accommodate this unusual distance? My normal 4000 meter workout, turned into 4880 meters. I would like to continue to use this pool,however I will have to put in some serious thinking into my workouts.
  • swim in a 33.3 yard pool every day. Three lengths per 100. A real nice compromise between SCY and LC. It's easy to come up with workouts for that distance. It was originally a rehabilitation pool that has a long gradual taper to the 1/2 way point before it steepens at the deep end.
  • Yesterday I swam in a pool I had never been to before. The pool is 30.5 meters (33.3 yards) long X 20 yards wide. Starting blocks were on the 20 yards. Bill, I'm just curious, as a native of Long Beach with family still there. Is this pool in Long Beach (or in the area)? Which one is it? Thanks!
  • There's one in Bellflower like that. I started my dubious swimming career there in 1958. I believe it is still there?
  • There's one in Bellflower like that. I started my dubious swimming career there in 1958. I believe it is still there? I grew up in Lakewood and swam on Lakewood High School's team, 1977-1979. My mom still lives in the same house; very close to Long Beach.
  • My college pool was like that too: rpiathletics.com/.../GEN_0519103709.aspx (halfway down the page). I've never seen it without the bulkhead. RPI is where we always had big meets growing up (silvers/golds). The smaller pool was great for easy swimming between events. Still gets used a lot today for AD age group meets; too bad a masters meet can't be organized there.
  • Elaine, I grew up in Downey, a very long time ago. My mother still lives there in our 1957 house! I visit often. Our small girls HS swim team competed against Lakewood. The summer rec team from the Bellflower pool (Caughran Park I think) competed at Mayfair. Small world!
  • In the early- to mid-20th century in the US, 100 feet was a pretty common pool length. A lot of WPA pools were 100 feet, for instance. (Some were much, much larger.)
  • In the 50's and 60's lots of YMCA/YWCA pools were 20 yds., at least in OH
  • I have a pool in my backyard that is 22 yds long; lots of flip-turns!!! I agree with knelson, they built it like this so no one would want to rent it for a meet or use it for swim practice. I'd think it would be fun to adapt your current workouts to work in this pool.
  • Elaine, I grew up in Downey, a very long time ago. My mother still lives there in our 1957 house! I visit often. Our small girls HS swim team competed against Lakewood. The summer rec team from the Bellflower pool (Caughran Park I think) competed at Mayfair. Small world! My mom's house is vintage 1963. Another Forumite, Debaru, went to Jordan High and swam on their team at the same time my sister swam for Lakewood High (early 70's).:D It turns out that during our years growing up in Long Beach, we hung out at the same places (Belmont Shores and Alamitos Bay) during the summers. We didn't know each other then, but met up at Mesa Nationals and have been friends ever since. Are you going to Mission Viejo and back home to see your mom? Debaru and I will be there and plan to see our families. If you go, let's all meet up! :cheerleader: