Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • Just to echo some things already mentioned and add my two cents... if you hire a personal trainer, do make sure s/he is a swimmer or at least a triathlete; they'll have much better insight about your ultimate goals. I like Habu987's selection of exercises a lot. You mentioned maybe having a trainer watch to make sure you're doing the exercises properly. Sometimes it's tough to tell what the exercise is supposed to look like if you're just reading a description in a book. The Salo/Riewald book I picked up this X-mas ("Complete Conditioning for Swimming") came with a DVD with demonstrations of all the exercises.... that might help.
  • Just to echo some things already mentioned and add my two cents... if you hire a personal trainer, do make sure s/he is a swimmer or at least a triathlete; they'll have much better insight about your ultimate goals. I like Habu987's selection of exercises a lot. You mentioned maybe having a trainer watch to make sure you're doing the exercises properly. Sometimes it's tough to tell what the exercise is supposed to look like if you're just reading a description in a book. The Salo/Riewald book I picked up this X-mas ("Complete Conditioning for Swimming") came with a DVD with demonstrations of all the exercises.... that might help.
Children
No Data