Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • The book Swimmming Anatomy by Ian McLeod (Amazon or B&N) provides a good soource of basic information and exercises specific to muscles and strokes, and it would provide you with some background info before engaging a trainer and also allow you to "truth-test" the program and to be sure it's what you want- Knowledge is Power. I agree with Swimosaur that it might be hard to find a personal trainer that knows swimming, can evaluate your needs, and set you on the right track, but not impossible. Probably not avaialble at the average gym, and perhaps you're more likely to find such a trainer in and around college swimming program and/or recommended by a college coach. I think using a trainer would be helpful in designing a program specific to your needs, tracking/testing response, checking dryland techniques, motivating you, and could eliminate trial and error. Might also prevent injury or over training. From what i've read, there really isn't one-size-fits-all training, as everybody responds differently- having someone that can adjust the program as you go along to your response would be pretty helpful, i think.
  • The book Swimmming Anatomy by Ian McLeod (Amazon or B&N) provides a good soource of basic information and exercises specific to muscles and strokes, and it would provide you with some background info before engaging a trainer and also allow you to "truth-test" the program and to be sure it's what you want- Knowledge is Power. I agree with Swimosaur that it might be hard to find a personal trainer that knows swimming, can evaluate your needs, and set you on the right track, but not impossible. Probably not avaialble at the average gym, and perhaps you're more likely to find such a trainer in and around college swimming program and/or recommended by a college coach. I think using a trainer would be helpful in designing a program specific to your needs, tracking/testing response, checking dryland techniques, motivating you, and could eliminate trial and error. Might also prevent injury or over training. From what i've read, there really isn't one-size-fits-all training, as everybody responds differently- having someone that can adjust the program as you go along to your response would be pretty helpful, i think.
Children
No Data