Personal training for swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am considering getting some personal training sessions this spring but I'm not sure what sort of training would be most beneficial. I've been working on improving my core strength and I think that helped. My focus events are distance freestyle and backstroke but I would like to improve my short-axis strokes. I have pretty good uppper body strength already and don't want to bulk up. I can tell that my left knee is weaker than my right and my breaststroke kick is imbalanced. Ideally I would like to improve my SDKs and power off starts and walls. And, of course, I'd like to look better in my bathing suit. :D Recommendations?
Parents
  • I can't speak for personal training, but I can give you some exercises to do on your own that will help out. Some will have a direct impact on your swimming, some will have an indirect impact (ie, general leg strengthening, etc), but all will benefit you in the long run. Legs Squats Streamline squat jumps Forward/backward lunges Side lunges Stair steps Stair/box jumps Jump rope Crunches Wall sits Stretch Cords Internal/external shoulder rotations Tricep pulldowns Lateral raises Reverse woodchops Chest flies Butterfly pulls Freestyle pulls Breaststroke pulls Right/left hip abductor Right/left hip adductor Medicine balls Basketball squat jump throws (squat and then jump to throw the medicine ball like a free throw) Chest passes - fast Chest passes - hard Overhead passes Granny passes Oblique handoffs Crunches with medicine ball held overhead Abs/core Pushups Flutter kicks Leg holds (hold your straight legs 6" off the ground) Leg lifts Oblique crunches Streamline crunches Crunches Dive bombers Plank Right/left plank Bridge Diamond pushups Wide grip pushups I started a dryland group on my team and we've been doing dryland three times a week for about a month now. We've been focusing a lot on the stretch cord, medicine ball, and leg exercises and I can really feel their impact. My focus events are backstroke and the IMs, and I can feel the difference in the water between now and a month ago. Can't speak for how it would impact distance freestylers, but it's sure helping me out!
  • I can't speak for personal training, but I can give you some exercises to do on your own that will help out. Some will have a direct impact on your swimming, some will have an indirect impact (ie, general leg strengthening, etc), but all will benefit you in the long run. Legs Squats Streamline squat jumps Forward/backward lunges Side lunges Stair steps Stair/box jumps Jump rope Crunches Wall sits Stretch Cords Internal/external shoulder rotations Tricep pulldowns Lateral raises Reverse woodchops Chest flies Butterfly pulls Freestyle pulls Breaststroke pulls Right/left hip abductor Right/left hip adductor Medicine balls Basketball squat jump throws (squat and then jump to throw the medicine ball like a free throw) Chest passes - fast Chest passes - hard Overhead passes Granny passes Oblique handoffs Crunches with medicine ball held overhead Abs/core Pushups Flutter kicks Leg holds (hold your straight legs 6" off the ground) Leg lifts Oblique crunches Streamline crunches Crunches Dive bombers Plank Right/left plank Bridge Diamond pushups Wide grip pushups I started a dryland group on my team and we've been doing dryland three times a week for about a month now. We've been focusing a lot on the stretch cord, medicine ball, and leg exercises and I can really feel their impact. My focus events are backstroke and the IMs, and I can feel the difference in the water between now and a month ago. Can't speak for how it would impact distance freestylers, but it's sure helping me out!
Children
No Data