People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • I'm at 60 miles for the year; on pace for my goal of 475 miles. Since joining USMS in 2010 and setting a goal of 250 miles for the year, I have increased (and surpassed) my goal each year. But, I think I have reached the maximum of what my body :cane: can handle. Like Chris Stevenson, I need to taper for multiple meets each year. For me, it has become a necessity to avoid new repetitive stress injuries and preventing old non-swimming AND swimming injuries from coming back to haunt me. Once again, I'm walking (or swimming) a fine line with breaststroke and trying to keep my leg healthy. My coach has declared me a "distance swimmer", better suited for distance events than sprint. I just hope my body can live up to the title as I train for Mission Viejo Nats.! On Tuesday, I have a PT apt./ evaluation with Skippy Mattson, a competitive USMS swimmer, based in Atlanta. I have a feeling I'm going to really need it after a full slate of events (8, including 200 fly, 400 IM, 200 ***, and 500 free) and four relays at Auburn! :bolt:
  • I'm at 60 miles for the year; on pace for my goal of 475 miles. Since joining USMS in 2010 and setting a goal of 250 miles for the year, I have increased (and surpassed) my goal each year. But, I think I have reached the maximum of what my body :cane: can handle. Like Chris Stevenson, I need to taper for multiple meets each year. For me, it has become a necessity to avoid new repetitive stress injuries and preventing old non-swimming AND swimming injuries from coming back to haunt me. Once again, I'm walking (or swimming) a fine line with breaststroke and trying to keep my leg healthy. My coach has declared me a "distance swimmer", better suited for distance events than sprint. I just hope my body can live up to the title as I train for Mission Viejo Nats.! On Tuesday, I have a PT apt./ evaluation with Skippy Mattson, a competitive USMS swimmer, based in Atlanta. I have a feeling I'm going to really need it after a full slate of events (8, including 200 fly, 400 IM, 200 ***, and 500 free) and four relays at Auburn! :bolt:
Children
No Data