People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • I was just checking my own mileage for the month and the time I've spent in the water to compare with last year and found some interesting results along the lines of this discussion... last May was my highest mileage month to date: 62.6 miles. That's about 10 x 10K. I swam 27 sessions and averaged 2.3 miles and 1 hour, 15 minutes per session. Even with my super slow times, this is not a tremendous time investment to be sure; I don't know if it counts as obsessive (my wife would beg to differ probably). Nonetheless, most of my non-swimming acquaintances (and some of the swimmers too) call me nuts. So, I have an hour and a quarter less television time 27 times a month--I missed 68 episodes of "The Office"! I think I'll live... and hopefully a longer, higher quality life as a result. Maybe if I could stop watching documentaries and classic movies on Netflix, I could swim the Channel!
  • I was just checking my own mileage for the month and the time I've spent in the water to compare with last year and found some interesting results along the lines of this discussion... last May was my highest mileage month to date: 62.6 miles. That's about 10 x 10K. I swam 27 sessions and averaged 2.3 miles and 1 hour, 15 minutes per session. Even with my super slow times, this is not a tremendous time investment to be sure; I don't know if it counts as obsessive (my wife would beg to differ probably). Nonetheless, most of my non-swimming acquaintances (and some of the swimmers too) call me nuts. So, I have an hour and a quarter less television time 27 times a month--I missed 68 episodes of "The Office"! I think I'll live... and hopefully a longer, higher quality life as a result. Maybe if I could stop watching documentaries and classic movies on Netflix, I could swim the Channel!
Children
No Data