People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • And OP, I looked at results from 2012 and the top two from both 35-39 and 40-44 blogged their workouts and posted their training plans (here or elsewhere). I did blog my yardage last year but I'm pretty sure I ended up first due to the second place guy having shoulder surgery. Here are my random GTD thoughts: * GTD is a good thing. It encourages people to swim and try to swim more. Some people might take it overboard but I have no idea what their situation is so I'm assuming everyone is fitting in what is best for them. * There was no prize van that showed up Jan 1st this year after I finished first in the men's 40-44 age division. I had to throw my own pretend celebration. It was awesome. * GTD is about the free swimsuit at 500 miles. I'm cheap. I like free stuff. The rest of the miles are gravy. * In regards to the free Nike swimsuit - Attention TYR, Speedo, etc... I have NOT worn my Nike suit yet. There's still time to sign me to a sponsorship deal. I have a meet this weekend so now would be a good time to work something out.... seriously... call me! * Swimming 800 miles last year did not make me fast. I'm a little faster than last year but I probably could have obtained the same results with 700 or 600 miles. A lot of people my age are a lot faster than I am with far fewer miles logged. * I like the yardage I do. I begged my parents to let me swim on a year round team when I was a kid. They didn't let me for good reason. For one, I was slow. For another, I begged to do a zillion other things as well. Shame on them for not deciphering the one true thing that I "really" wanted to do. I have childhood issues. Swimming helps.
  • And OP, I looked at results from 2012 and the top two from both 35-39 and 40-44 blogged their workouts and posted their training plans (here or elsewhere). I did blog my yardage last year but I'm pretty sure I ended up first due to the second place guy having shoulder surgery. Here are my random GTD thoughts: * GTD is a good thing. It encourages people to swim and try to swim more. Some people might take it overboard but I have no idea what their situation is so I'm assuming everyone is fitting in what is best for them. * There was no prize van that showed up Jan 1st this year after I finished first in the men's 40-44 age division. I had to throw my own pretend celebration. It was awesome. * GTD is about the free swimsuit at 500 miles. I'm cheap. I like free stuff. The rest of the miles are gravy. * In regards to the free Nike swimsuit - Attention TYR, Speedo, etc... I have NOT worn my Nike suit yet. There's still time to sign me to a sponsorship deal. I have a meet this weekend so now would be a good time to work something out.... seriously... call me! * Swimming 800 miles last year did not make me fast. I'm a little faster than last year but I probably could have obtained the same results with 700 or 600 miles. A lot of people my age are a lot faster than I am with far fewer miles logged. * I like the yardage I do. I begged my parents to let me swim on a year round team when I was a kid. They didn't let me for good reason. For one, I was slow. For another, I begged to do a zillion other things as well. Shame on them for not deciphering the one true thing that I "really" wanted to do. I have childhood issues. Swimming helps.
Children
No Data