People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • My goodness, I certainly didn't mean to sound judgemental! I can easily imagine swimming 2 1/2 hours a day - occasionally. I suppose if someone is unemployed, i.e. retired, you might have that kind of time. And stamina. However, as Jim said, to knock out 20 miles in the weekend, that means: "A 20 mile swim is 35,200 yards. To put it in more conventional pool swimming terms, this is 352 x 100s. Now let us say that some of these guys can hold this pace on 1:20 and take no bathroom breaks or stop for a sip of water or a bite of food. 352 x 100 on 1:20 would take 469.20 minutes to complete, or 7.82 hours." Yes, I spend a lot of time reading. And swimming. But I don't swim 8 hours on a weekend, EVER. More power to you, especially if you do it on a regular basis.
  • My goodness, I certainly didn't mean to sound judgemental! I can easily imagine swimming 2 1/2 hours a day - occasionally. I suppose if someone is unemployed, i.e. retired, you might have that kind of time. And stamina. However, as Jim said, to knock out 20 miles in the weekend, that means: "A 20 mile swim is 35,200 yards. To put it in more conventional pool swimming terms, this is 352 x 100s. Now let us say that some of these guys can hold this pace on 1:20 and take no bathroom breaks or stop for a sip of water or a bite of food. 352 x 100 on 1:20 would take 469.20 minutes to complete, or 7.82 hours." Yes, I spend a lot of time reading. And swimming. But I don't swim 8 hours on a weekend, EVER. More power to you, especially if you do it on a regular basis.
Children
No Data