People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • I will make the general point explicitly: people who decide to engage in an activity daily (especially a skill-building activity, though that is not under discussion here) and use their time efficiently in such pursuit are not nuts, psychos, skimping on their family's needs, have issues, and so forth, as this and another recent thread implied. I regret that Go the Distance should inspire such a conversation. I see a couple cracks about these people being "nuts" but it all seems pretty lighthearted to me. The original question is valid and was not negative toward these "high mileage" people in any way. Just a simple question about how these people are training to rack up that kind of mileage. And my personal feeling is most of the high mileage types are training like John K. They get in the pool nearly every day, start swimming and keep swimming for a long time. Pretty simple, really.
  • I will make the general point explicitly: people who decide to engage in an activity daily (especially a skill-building activity, though that is not under discussion here) and use their time efficiently in such pursuit are not nuts, psychos, skimping on their family's needs, have issues, and so forth, as this and another recent thread implied. I regret that Go the Distance should inspire such a conversation. I see a couple cracks about these people being "nuts" but it all seems pretty lighthearted to me. The original question is valid and was not negative toward these "high mileage" people in any way. Just a simple question about how these people are training to rack up that kind of mileage. And my personal feeling is most of the high mileage types are training like John K. They get in the pool nearly every day, start swimming and keep swimming for a long time. Pretty simple, really.
Children
No Data