People who are already over 100 and 200 miles for the year?!

Hi! I joined the USMS FLOG (love the acronym...) at the end of January. I am excited about the prizes for various milestones! However, I noticed some people are already at 100 or 200 miles for the year. Holy moly! I thought I swam a lot! Are any of these people reading? Why such high yardage? How do you structure your week? Singles, doubles? Intrigued. Allison
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    There are many possible reasons for people completing so much mileage so far. I was formally a member of the La Jolla Cove Swim Club in San Diego, CA. The vast majority of those swimmers are not only USMS members, but they are also channel swimmers. Many of them will easily knock out 5 ~ 10 miles a day during their weekday swims. Then, they knock about 20+ mile swims over the weekend. Some of them will knock out the same kind of mileage in the pool when the ocean is inhospitable. I also swam 5 miles a day in the pool when I was in San Diego as a member of the 500 mile club at North Island, where I used to work. The Master's swim clubs in San Diego are intense, so you can easily put in the miles there too. I know I have mentioned the situation that I was mostly exposed to in San Diego, but I had the opportunity to meet swimmers from around the world through the La Jolla Cove Swim Club. Also, there were lots of triathletes that had to put in the mileage. Anyway, I hope some of my explanation was helpful.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    There are many possible reasons for people completing so much mileage so far. I was formally a member of the La Jolla Cove Swim Club in San Diego, CA. The vast majority of those swimmers are not only USMS members, but they are also channel swimmers. Many of them will easily knock out 5 ~ 10 miles a day during their weekday swims. Then, they knock about 20+ mile swims over the weekend. Some of them will knock out the same kind of mileage in the pool when the ocean is inhospitable. I also swam 5 miles a day in the pool when I was in San Diego as a member of the 500 mile club at North Island, where I used to work. The Master's swim clubs in San Diego are intense, so you can easily put in the miles there too. I know I have mentioned the situation that I was mostly exposed to in San Diego, but I had the opportunity to meet swimmers from around the world through the La Jolla Cove Swim Club. Also, there were lots of triathletes that had to put in the mileage. Anyway, I hope some of my explanation was helpful.
Children
No Data