Goggle anti-fog coating appears scuffed / how to fix

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm new to swimming properly. I messed around with a poor breaststroke from childhood until October last year, when I decided to start learning front crawl. I've done quite a bit of snorkelling, so when I committed to learning to swim correctly, I favoured a mid-size swimming mask instead of goggles...I just found this more comfortable and I never had fogging issues that a good dose of saliva wouldn't fix. A few weeks ago, I decided to try the Arena Pure goggles for a change. They are supposed to have an anti-fog coating, which should never be touched by hand etc etc. On their maiden outing, I just couldn't get comfortable with them and I thought they were fogging up, so I employed the primitive method (rub saliva into the lenses with finger). You may well slap your foreheads at the stupidity of this, but I felt I had to try. The result was a smudge at the centre of the lenses. When I got home, after rinsing in fresh water, I decided to wipe the interior with a soft microfibre cloth. The result is that the centre of the lenses appears scuffed and visibility is reduced. I don't think the lenses truly are scuffed, unless the lense material is absurdly soft. Yesterday, I applied some Cressi Anti-fog in the hope that the layer may recover and the interior return to its original condition, but it didn't work. The lenses look as if someone has rotated a scouring pad on them. I guess I should remove the remainder of the original anti-fog layer and just reapply the Cressi solution, but I'm not sure how to remove the original layer without damaging the lenses.... Can anyone please advise? Many thanks in advance
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    The anti fog material is absurdly soft and easily scratched. The only remedy now is to find an edge and peel it off of your goggles, or discard them and avoid more distraction. Ah, I see. Do you mean that it should peel off like a film?
  • I love the way the Speedo Vanquishers fit but they fog up brand new within a 50 for me. I started doing the baby shampoo and it was amazing! I rarely have a problem with fogging now. I just put a small drop in each lens and rub it around with my finger (there is enough shampoo that you aren't really touching the lens to scratch it). Then I rinse the shampoo out in the pool. I started doing this in Oct and have only had 1 incident of fogging during a 2 hour practice since then. I even did this with an old, scratched pair and they lasted me another 6 weeks or so until I switched to a non-scratched pair.
  • Tried my first pair of $3.95 sweeds today and I will never buy different type for training. They don't have a fog barrier.
  • I also use a mid-size mask for practice as they fit great and I don't spend the rest of the day with goggle-face. And I bought anti-fog gel at a scuba store called Sea Gold (and I even let Elaniak use it once so I'm sure she'll let us know if it's good). Just a tiny drop no larger than a beebee and both lenses stay clear for the workout. :wave:Hi Patrick! I missed you today at the Marist meet. (Not that I really expected you to be there, but I missed you, anyway!) Yes, I remember using it for one of my races and it worked fine. Whether it works throughout an entire workout, I'll have to take your word for it. My eyes must give off a lot of heat and humidity. :afraid: It doesn't matter what I use; my goggles fog up at one time or another during a meet or workout. As soon as I put them on- FOG! I have used baby shampoo, Foggle, Quick Spit Antifog, and my own spit. NOTHING WORKS FOR ME! :cry:
  • Former Member
    I also use a mid-size mask for practice as they fit great and I don't spend the rest of the day with goggle-face. And I bought anti-fog gel at a scuba store called Sea Gold (and I even let Elaniak use it once so I'm sure she'll let us know if it's good). Just a tiny drop no larger than a beebee and both lenses stay clear for the workout.
  • Remove the remaining coating with toothpaste and then do the baby shampoo as recommended.
  • Former Member
    Remove the remaining coating with toothpaste and then do the baby shampoo as recommended. A few months ago I tried to polish the surface of an old pair of goggles using tooth paste as an experiment. It did not work. The goggles came out cloudy. Some tooth pastes may work for this but the brand I used left find scratches.
  • Former Member
    Many thanks to all for the advice. I tried the goggles out again on Saturday with a dose of anti-fog and though visibility is affected by the scuffs on the lense centres, I've decided just to stuff them in my training bag as a backup in case my present mask breaks. They are watertight enough and will help me out in an emergency. Next time I buy goggles, I definitely will not rub the lense interiors... Thanks again!
  • Remove the remaining coating with toothpaste and then do the baby shampoo as recommended. It worked- thanks! :applaud:
  • Former Member
    Update: I think the problem is solved! I couldn't just let it go :) I decided just to try lense wipes, the disposable kind used for cleaning sunglasses. It removed the remainder of the anti-fog layer. I watched it come off like a big greasy smudge. I rinsed out the lenses thoroughly, then applied the Cressi stuff and it has worked! I don't know how many sessions I'll get out of them before having to reapply the anti-fog, but at least I have a functioning pair of goggles again. :bliss: