Goggle anti-fog coating appears scuffed / how to fix

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm new to swimming properly. I messed around with a poor breaststroke from childhood until October last year, when I decided to start learning front crawl. I've done quite a bit of snorkelling, so when I committed to learning to swim correctly, I favoured a mid-size swimming mask instead of goggles...I just found this more comfortable and I never had fogging issues that a good dose of saliva wouldn't fix. A few weeks ago, I decided to try the Arena Pure goggles for a change. They are supposed to have an anti-fog coating, which should never be touched by hand etc etc. On their maiden outing, I just couldn't get comfortable with them and I thought they were fogging up, so I employed the primitive method (rub saliva into the lenses with finger). You may well slap your foreheads at the stupidity of this, but I felt I had to try. The result was a smudge at the centre of the lenses. When I got home, after rinsing in fresh water, I decided to wipe the interior with a soft microfibre cloth. The result is that the centre of the lenses appears scuffed and visibility is reduced. I don't think the lenses truly are scuffed, unless the lense material is absurdly soft. Yesterday, I applied some Cressi Anti-fog in the hope that the layer may recover and the interior return to its original condition, but it didn't work. The lenses look as if someone has rotated a scouring pad on them. I guess I should remove the remainder of the original anti-fog layer and just reapply the Cressi solution, but I'm not sure how to remove the original layer without damaging the lenses.... Can anyone please advise? Many thanks in advance
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Update: I think the problem is solved! I couldn't just let it go :) I decided just to try lense wipes, the disposable kind used for cleaning sunglasses. It removed the remainder of the anti-fog layer. I watched it come off like a big greasy smudge. I rinsed out the lenses thoroughly, then applied the Cressi stuff and it has worked! I don't know how many sessions I'll get out of them before having to reapply the anti-fog, but at least I have a functioning pair of goggles again. :bliss: Hi, I found an alternative solution to the problem. The anti-fog film would not come off with just water and/or lense wipe from my TYR Swedish goggles. Instead I used house cleaning product (ie Windex) and I removed the film scratching it with a wooden Chinese chopstick (the wood isn't harder than the goggle so it won't scratch it permanently, I presume made of polycarbonate?). I will wash the goggles very well again before using them to avoid any cleaning product potentially going in my eyes.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Update: I think the problem is solved! I couldn't just let it go :) I decided just to try lense wipes, the disposable kind used for cleaning sunglasses. It removed the remainder of the anti-fog layer. I watched it come off like a big greasy smudge. I rinsed out the lenses thoroughly, then applied the Cressi stuff and it has worked! I don't know how many sessions I'll get out of them before having to reapply the anti-fog, but at least I have a functioning pair of goggles again. :bliss: Hi, I found an alternative solution to the problem. The anti-fog film would not come off with just water and/or lense wipe from my TYR Swedish goggles. Instead I used house cleaning product (ie Windex) and I removed the film scratching it with a wooden Chinese chopstick (the wood isn't harder than the goggle so it won't scratch it permanently, I presume made of polycarbonate?). I will wash the goggles very well again before using them to avoid any cleaning product potentially going in my eyes.
Children
No Data