Goggle anti-fog coating appears scuffed / how to fix

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm new to swimming properly. I messed around with a poor breaststroke from childhood until October last year, when I decided to start learning front crawl. I've done quite a bit of snorkelling, so when I committed to learning to swim correctly, I favoured a mid-size swimming mask instead of goggles...I just found this more comfortable and I never had fogging issues that a good dose of saliva wouldn't fix. A few weeks ago, I decided to try the Arena Pure goggles for a change. They are supposed to have an anti-fog coating, which should never be touched by hand etc etc. On their maiden outing, I just couldn't get comfortable with them and I thought they were fogging up, so I employed the primitive method (rub saliva into the lenses with finger). You may well slap your foreheads at the stupidity of this, but I felt I had to try. The result was a smudge at the centre of the lenses. When I got home, after rinsing in fresh water, I decided to wipe the interior with a soft microfibre cloth. The result is that the centre of the lenses appears scuffed and visibility is reduced. I don't think the lenses truly are scuffed, unless the lense material is absurdly soft. Yesterday, I applied some Cressi Anti-fog in the hope that the layer may recover and the interior return to its original condition, but it didn't work. The lenses look as if someone has rotated a scouring pad on them. I guess I should remove the remainder of the original anti-fog layer and just reapply the Cressi solution, but I'm not sure how to remove the original layer without damaging the lenses.... Can anyone please advise? Many thanks in advance
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    In my opinion anti-fog goggles don't exist. Brand new goggles might give you a few days where they don't fog, but eventually they will. Saliva works as good as an anti-fog agent as anything, so, no, you weren't stupid by trying this method. Another thing I've heard people say is keeping the goggles in a mixture of baby shampoo and water while they're not in use helps keep them from fogging. One thing I wonder about since you mention the goggles appear "scuffed." Are these goggles the mirrored/metalized type designed for outdoor use? The coating can chip off on these for sure. I can't imagine a micro fiber cloth scuffing non-mirrored goggles. Thanks for the replies. The goggles have smoke coloured lenses, not mirrored. The scuffing is on the inside only, so this leads me to think that the scuffs are in the anti-fog layer only. I'm just not sure how to remove the layer without damaging the lenses...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    In my opinion anti-fog goggles don't exist. Brand new goggles might give you a few days where they don't fog, but eventually they will. Saliva works as good as an anti-fog agent as anything, so, no, you weren't stupid by trying this method. Another thing I've heard people say is keeping the goggles in a mixture of baby shampoo and water while they're not in use helps keep them from fogging. One thing I wonder about since you mention the goggles appear "scuffed." Are these goggles the mirrored/metalized type designed for outdoor use? The coating can chip off on these for sure. I can't imagine a micro fiber cloth scuffing non-mirrored goggles. Thanks for the replies. The goggles have smoke coloured lenses, not mirrored. The scuffing is on the inside only, so this leads me to think that the scuffs are in the anti-fog layer only. I'm just not sure how to remove the layer without damaging the lenses...
Children
No Data