Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
Parents
  • I think the pool is worth saving, though. If I understand the article correctly, if it could cost up to $64 million to totally replace it, but only $23 million to upgrade it, I would think upgrading would be the way to go. L.B. could still erect a temporary pool while the upgrades are in the works and would save well over $30 million in the long run. The thing I hate the most about this, is what will happen to all of the tile murals. They are beautiful works of art that should be preserved. The City's report indicated that it would cost about $44 million to repair the existing facility and bring it up to current seismic standards. For the additional $20 million or so, Long Beach will get two 50-meter pools, one indoors and one outdoors. A better deal.
  • I think the pool is worth saving, though. If I understand the article correctly, if it could cost up to $64 million to totally replace it, but only $23 million to upgrade it, I would think upgrading would be the way to go. L.B. could still erect a temporary pool while the upgrades are in the works and would save well over $30 million in the long run. The thing I hate the most about this, is what will happen to all of the tile murals. They are beautiful works of art that should be preserved. The City's report indicated that it would cost about $44 million to repair the existing facility and bring it up to current seismic standards. For the additional $20 million or so, Long Beach will get two 50-meter pools, one indoors and one outdoors. A better deal.
Children
No Data