Freestyle and Sternocleidomastoid injury

Former Member
Former Member
Hey there, I am new to swimming, but have recently been swimming quite a bit and am experiencing crazy tightness in both sides of my neck. The muscle that is hurting is my sternocleidomastiod (I know this because I hold stress here and often have to have it massaged). I have been primarily working on my freestyle stroke, so I am thinking that is probably the cause. I know I **** my head back a little bit when I swim and am constantly working to keep my face looking directly at the bottom of the pool and my head in line with my body. I am thinking, though, that what may be hurting my neck the most is when I breathe. I breathe on both sides, but am not sure what the proper technique/alignment is for breathing. Can anyone help? Also, has anyone had this issue and then had it go away? If so, I would be interested in hearing what you did to help your stroke specifically. Thank you!
  • Very interesting. I logged in to see if anyone else has had sternocleidomastoid issues and found your post. I wonder why no other swimmers have replied to your post. Seems like more swimmers would have the SCM issues. I have been swimming for many years and have SCM issues, but did not really know what was causing my unbearable pain. Medical Doctors really aren't very versed on soft tissue issues and trigger points. Or if they are, they are not allowed to talk about them. My SCM's are very large making my neck look bad. After googling the issue and reading over past literature and doctor appointments, have started 1. mild isometric strengthening of the neck in a prone position in all four directions daily. 2. Self massage and trigger points daily. I like to strip the SCM with a very deep hold... And I have started to feel some relief. As far as swim position. I am going to start with my snorkel tomorrow and hopefully the strength and massage will kick in soon. And will start to breath a little forward which I believe is more correct than back. I too seem to breath a little back.
  • I get neck soreness and found that warming up using a swimmers snorkel really helps. I nearly always do my warmup with snorkel. I highly recommend using a nose clip with the snorkel or else turns are a challenge at first. I hope this helps.