Chondromalacia patella

Anyone dealt with this problem in the pool? I've been in PT for almost 3 mos and am not seeing results. Kicking, fly, br and turns are quite painful.
Parents
  • I was diagnosed with CP more than 10 years ago. I had been cross-training with running on the treadmill. Bad shoes, flat feet, and treadmill did not mix well. Doctor said my patella was not tracking properly and I had damaged the underside of my patella. I tried PT but it didn't help. I was having trouble going downstairs especially. In the pool, fly and flutter kick was painful. *** kick was not a problem (luckily). I had my left knee scoped and the surgeon scraped off damaged cartiledge and released some tendon fibers to help patella track better. I took 6 months off of swimming and tried to strengthen my VMO muscle. I had less pain when I got back to the pool. Now 10 years later, some days my knee doesn't bother me at all, some days just a minor annoyance. Some days the other knee that wasn't as bad is more noticeable. I gave up running for good!! Only do eliptical or bike now. However, I am prone for my scoped knee to swell up- arthritis may be settling in. Also, Orthotics in your shoes can make a big difference- at least for me it did I believe the key to CP is strengthening the VMO. If you can do that with surgery that is great.
  • I was diagnosed with CP more than 10 years ago. I had been cross-training with running on the treadmill. Bad shoes, flat feet, and treadmill did not mix well. Doctor said my patella was not tracking properly and I had damaged the underside of my patella. I tried PT but it didn't help. I was having trouble going downstairs especially. In the pool, fly and flutter kick was painful. *** kick was not a problem (luckily). I had my left knee scoped and the surgeon scraped off damaged cartiledge and released some tendon fibers to help patella track better. I took 6 months off of swimming and tried to strengthen my VMO muscle. I had less pain when I got back to the pool. Now 10 years later, some days my knee doesn't bother me at all, some days just a minor annoyance. Some days the other knee that wasn't as bad is more noticeable. I gave up running for good!! Only do eliptical or bike now. However, I am prone for my scoped knee to swell up- arthritis may be settling in. Also, Orthotics in your shoes can make a big difference- at least for me it did I believe the key to CP is strengthening the VMO. If you can do that with surgery that is great.
Children
No Data