Chondromalacia patella

Anyone dealt with this problem in the pool? I've been in PT for almost 3 mos and am not seeing results. Kicking, fly, br and turns are quite painful.
Parents
  • Thanks for the feedback. It's been going on since June but I waited a few months before seeing an orthopedist. MD is not suggesting surgery - that's the last place she wants to go as CP generally is not resolved surgically. Unfortunately swimming is usually seen more as a remedy since this is more of an injury in runners and jumpers. My PT says she has never met a swimmer with this problem before. I've been told I have to build up the medial part of my quad in order to realign the kneecap, not an easy thing to do! I wouldn't conclude that sore knees fom squatting or sitting cross-legged is caused by CP. it's a very particular diagnosis based on structural deficiencies. We thought it was tendinitis until I had the MRI. But if you have stabbing pain in your kneecaps whenever you walk up or down the stairs, then it's a good idea to see a dr.
  • Thanks for the feedback. It's been going on since June but I waited a few months before seeing an orthopedist. MD is not suggesting surgery - that's the last place she wants to go as CP generally is not resolved surgically. Unfortunately swimming is usually seen more as a remedy since this is more of an injury in runners and jumpers. My PT says she has never met a swimmer with this problem before. I've been told I have to build up the medial part of my quad in order to realign the kneecap, not an easy thing to do! I wouldn't conclude that sore knees fom squatting or sitting cross-legged is caused by CP. it's a very particular diagnosis based on structural deficiencies. We thought it was tendinitis until I had the MRI. But if you have stabbing pain in your kneecaps whenever you walk up or down the stairs, then it's a good idea to see a dr.
Children
No Data