Swimming : Why no pure sprint event?

Former Member
Former Member
Full disclosure: I am a pure (i.e. "drop dead") sprinter :)] Watching Track & Field, I'm always struck how they offer what can truly be described as "pure" sprints: the 100m dash (and in indoors, the 60m). These are races that time sub-10 and sub-7 seconds at the elite level. Yet swimming's shortest race is 21 seconds (for the rest of us, quite a bit more than 21 seconds ...). I was speaking with some sprint swimming coaches who agreed that even our "splash & dash" 50 free is not a true sprint ... it's close, but the best sprinters actually back off a tiny fraction from their absolute max to maintain a greater speed overall. At my USMS level, the winning times are in the low 25's. There's no way that's a true sprint -- 25 seconds is not entirely ATP-fueled. And while it's mostly anaerobic, is it entirely? Certainly a sub-10 or sub-7 race would be. Time-wise, our 50 parallels Track & Field's 200 rather than their marquee sprint, the 100. In my fantasy world, I imagine a 25m race at the international level (swimming through the finish like Track & Field athletes) ... fastest reaction, fastest acceleration, fastest underwater & surface, fastest ABSOLUTE speed. Before 1988, our "shortest" Olympic race was the 100m!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Interesting reply, Warren. I've sprinted for 40 years and I definitely change speeds in the 50 (as Steve pointed out, I'd fry by 20 meters were I to max out effort) I find backing off 5% or so after beeakout in the 50m allows me to finish stronger and with a better time. Were it a 10 second race, I'd max out. The fastest you will go in swimming is while you are in the air and right after you hit the water. The elite swimmers take 4 or 5 quick dolphin kicks maintaining the speed they hit the water with, then all they need is a few strokes to get to the speed they need to be at. I agree that backing off a little can give you a faster time. I should have said optimal race speed instead of top speed. It takes a lot more work build up to top speed in track. If you look at this video, Usain Bolt takes 12 steps before he lifts his head up. Usain Bolt beats Gay and sets new Record - from Universal Sports - YouTube Swimmers get to optimal speed right away. What I’m trying to say is that It’s harder and takes more energy to get to top speed in running but easier to maintain and it’s easier to get to top speed in swimming but harder to maintain.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Interesting reply, Warren. I've sprinted for 40 years and I definitely change speeds in the 50 (as Steve pointed out, I'd fry by 20 meters were I to max out effort) I find backing off 5% or so after beeakout in the 50m allows me to finish stronger and with a better time. Were it a 10 second race, I'd max out. The fastest you will go in swimming is while you are in the air and right after you hit the water. The elite swimmers take 4 or 5 quick dolphin kicks maintaining the speed they hit the water with, then all they need is a few strokes to get to the speed they need to be at. I agree that backing off a little can give you a faster time. I should have said optimal race speed instead of top speed. It takes a lot more work build up to top speed in track. If you look at this video, Usain Bolt takes 12 steps before he lifts his head up. Usain Bolt beats Gay and sets new Record - from Universal Sports - YouTube Swimmers get to optimal speed right away. What I’m trying to say is that It’s harder and takes more energy to get to top speed in running but easier to maintain and it’s easier to get to top speed in swimming but harder to maintain.
Children
No Data