Swimming with an ankle sprain

Former Member
Former Member
I have (what I would call) a mild-moderate ankle sprain. (I'm really not sure how I did it; maybe while I was playing with my son at the hotel pool, but no matter.) I'm right in the thick of training for the Big Shoulders Open Water Swim, the 2.5K. I just spent a 3-day weekend without training or cross-training at all, due to a family emergency. I had a good workout yesterday morning, but that was before my ankle started feeling sore and swelling (slightly). I really don't want to take any time off my training. Would it really hurt me to keep up my training and, say, have a workout tonight? My workouts run about 2600-3000 yards. Or if I do swim, are there certain kicks or drills I should avoid, say, avoid using my zoomers for a few days? Another option is to have a bike ride tonight and have my next swim workout tomorrow morning. Any advice? Thanks!
Parents
  • I know this one. I sprained my ankle two weeks before my first Big Shoulders years ago. I'm a two-beat kicker so while I used a lot of pool buoy for that two weeks, I didn't always use one. The biggest challenge in training was not pushing off of the wall on that ankle in flip turns. Then came race day. One of my first open water swims, I wasn't smart enough to start on one end, and had quite a bit of pain in the opening scrum as arms raked across that ankle. Once I was in clear water, though, it wasn't a problem. Hope all went well Saturday. It was a great day for a swim, and I had a blast.
  • I know this one. I sprained my ankle two weeks before my first Big Shoulders years ago. I'm a two-beat kicker so while I used a lot of pool buoy for that two weeks, I didn't always use one. The biggest challenge in training was not pushing off of the wall on that ankle in flip turns. Then came race day. One of my first open water swims, I wasn't smart enough to start on one end, and had quite a bit of pain in the opening scrum as arms raked across that ankle. Once I was in clear water, though, it wasn't a problem. Hope all went well Saturday. It was a great day for a swim, and I had a blast.
Children
No Data