Swimming with an ankle sprain

Former Member
Former Member
I have (what I would call) a mild-moderate ankle sprain. (I'm really not sure how I did it; maybe while I was playing with my son at the hotel pool, but no matter.) I'm right in the thick of training for the Big Shoulders Open Water Swim, the 2.5K. I just spent a 3-day weekend without training or cross-training at all, due to a family emergency. I had a good workout yesterday morning, but that was before my ankle started feeling sore and swelling (slightly). I really don't want to take any time off my training. Would it really hurt me to keep up my training and, say, have a workout tonight? My workouts run about 2600-3000 yards. Or if I do swim, are there certain kicks or drills I should avoid, say, avoid using my zoomers for a few days? Another option is to have a bike ride tonight and have my next swim workout tomorrow morning. Any advice? Thanks!
Parents
  • I sprained my wrist four weeks ago when a car hit me as I was crossing a street. The driver came out of nowhere, and my right hand shot out instinctively. Her car bumped into my hand, and when she saw I was standing up/ not bleeding or doubled over, she took off (total hit & run). I went to the hospital, where they told me I had a fractured bone (and that I'd be in a cast for 6 weeks). I went to my orthopedic doctor the next day; he looked over my hand and the x-rays, and he said it was sprained, not broken. I was in a splint for two weeks, at which point it was x-rayed again, and still no sign of fracture. (Big sigh of relief!) By this time, my pool had closed for cleaning, so there was another enforced two weeks out of the water. Last night was my first night back (sheer bliss!). I took it easy, 1800 yards, alternating strokes and kicking--no pulling. Today my hand is a bit stiff/ sore, but otherwise fine. During my layoff, I did a lot of drylands--long walks when the weather permitted; gym sessions focusing on lower body and core. I'm just beginning to add in some upper-body work (with like 2-lb. hand weights)--wearing a splint to keep my wrist supported. I'm still wearing the splint at night, and icing the wrist/ taking Advil or Tylenol as needed. I aim to gradually build up my yardage over the next month. Injuries that keep you from swimming just flat-out stink. But it's so important to listen to your doctors and take their advice. And to listen to your body--if something really hurts, stop. In hindsight, I'm glad the pool cleaning kept me out of the water for two additional weeks, which gave the injury a chance to heal. Mostly I'm just glad I wasn't hurt any worse than I was.
  • I sprained my wrist four weeks ago when a car hit me as I was crossing a street. The driver came out of nowhere, and my right hand shot out instinctively. Her car bumped into my hand, and when she saw I was standing up/ not bleeding or doubled over, she took off (total hit & run). I went to the hospital, where they told me I had a fractured bone (and that I'd be in a cast for 6 weeks). I went to my orthopedic doctor the next day; he looked over my hand and the x-rays, and he said it was sprained, not broken. I was in a splint for two weeks, at which point it was x-rayed again, and still no sign of fracture. (Big sigh of relief!) By this time, my pool had closed for cleaning, so there was another enforced two weeks out of the water. Last night was my first night back (sheer bliss!). I took it easy, 1800 yards, alternating strokes and kicking--no pulling. Today my hand is a bit stiff/ sore, but otherwise fine. During my layoff, I did a lot of drylands--long walks when the weather permitted; gym sessions focusing on lower body and core. I'm just beginning to add in some upper-body work (with like 2-lb. hand weights)--wearing a splint to keep my wrist supported. I'm still wearing the splint at night, and icing the wrist/ taking Advil or Tylenol as needed. I aim to gradually build up my yardage over the next month. Injuries that keep you from swimming just flat-out stink. But it's so important to listen to your doctors and take their advice. And to listen to your body--if something really hurts, stop. In hindsight, I'm glad the pool cleaning kept me out of the water for two additional weeks, which gave the injury a chance to heal. Mostly I'm just glad I wasn't hurt any worse than I was.
Children
No Data