Torn biceps question

Former Member
Former Member
I tore my long biceps muscle from the shoulder while leaving the blocks at Nationals on Sunday. It is what is called a "proximal" (by the shoulder) tear of the "longer" of the two biceps muscles. If it were a "distal" tear, where the biceps attachs near the elbow, the standard course is surgery to reattach. This is not always the case with a proximal tear. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended no surgery for my tear. I will seek a second opinion as I have a two week window if I want to have it surgically reattached. My reason for posting is to ask if anyone has had a proximal (shoulder end) biceps tear. What did you do? I want to maintain swimming at an intense level and am not sure how much is lost if I do not have surgery. And I understand that even with surgery there are no guarantees of complete recovery. Any information about a biceps tear and treatment would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg Shaw
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Eric, First, I'm assumming you're asking about the tendon that I did not have reattached. It never ruptured, but was released during an operation to repair a torn labrum in Sept. of '05. Not a very long recovery as I recall and the length was due primarily to the labrum. Probably swimming within 3 months. Too lazy to look it up in my 2005 training log. I never had the popeye bulge as my docs did a special post op wrap that prevented it and it has not changed over the last 7 years. While the passing years have affected my strength, I don't think the operation had anything to do with that! I don't do curls very often, prefering pullups and I did manage 5 really good ones (touch shoulders to the bar and full extention at the bottom) with 25 lbs.strapped on, so the strength is hanging on. I could do 12 when I was only 60. Rich Rich - You have my attention! On Aug 2 I broke my clavicle in a bike wreck. Since then I have been struggling with a frozen shoulder. Last week I had an MRI which indicated SLAP Tear. The doc wants to do the Tenotomy (release the biceps Tendon). My concern was the impact on swimming. Before I read your report I was concerned that there would be loss of strength in the bicep. I am also interested in more details on the post op wrap. Thanks, Chris
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Eric, First, I'm assumming you're asking about the tendon that I did not have reattached. It never ruptured, but was released during an operation to repair a torn labrum in Sept. of '05. Not a very long recovery as I recall and the length was due primarily to the labrum. Probably swimming within 3 months. Too lazy to look it up in my 2005 training log. I never had the popeye bulge as my docs did a special post op wrap that prevented it and it has not changed over the last 7 years. While the passing years have affected my strength, I don't think the operation had anything to do with that! I don't do curls very often, prefering pullups and I did manage 5 really good ones (touch shoulders to the bar and full extention at the bottom) with 25 lbs.strapped on, so the strength is hanging on. I could do 12 when I was only 60. Rich Rich - You have my attention! On Aug 2 I broke my clavicle in a bike wreck. Since then I have been struggling with a frozen shoulder. Last week I had an MRI which indicated SLAP Tear. The doc wants to do the Tenotomy (release the biceps Tendon). My concern was the impact on swimming. Before I read your report I was concerned that there would be loss of strength in the bicep. I am also interested in more details on the post op wrap. Thanks, Chris
Children
No Data