Torn biceps question

Former Member
Former Member
I tore my long biceps muscle from the shoulder while leaving the blocks at Nationals on Sunday. It is what is called a "proximal" (by the shoulder) tear of the "longer" of the two biceps muscles. If it were a "distal" tear, where the biceps attachs near the elbow, the standard course is surgery to reattach. This is not always the case with a proximal tear. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended no surgery for my tear. I will seek a second opinion as I have a two week window if I want to have it surgically reattached. My reason for posting is to ask if anyone has had a proximal (shoulder end) biceps tear. What did you do? I want to maintain swimming at an intense level and am not sure how much is lost if I do not have surgery. And I understand that even with surgery there are no guarantees of complete recovery. Any information about a biceps tear and treatment would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg Shaw
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Greg, If it's of any additional consolation, a fellow swimmer at our Y had the same injury. He builds pools for a living and is one tough guy for his 60 years. Picture John Wayne without the cowboy drawl. Anyway, while working on a patio a couple of years ago he lifted a large piece of flag stone still thinking he had the brute strength of his youth. Much to his surprise his bicep rolled back up his arm like one of those birthday party horns when it retracts. A long story short they reattached the muscle and he's as good as new. Thanks to modern medicine they can rebuild us older athletes when things start coming undone. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Greg, If it's of any additional consolation, a fellow swimmer at our Y had the same injury. He builds pools for a living and is one tough guy for his 60 years. Picture John Wayne without the cowboy drawl. Anyway, while working on a patio a couple of years ago he lifted a large piece of flag stone still thinking he had the brute strength of his youth. Much to his surprise his bicep rolled back up his arm like one of those birthday party horns when it retracts. A long story short they reattached the muscle and he's as good as new. Thanks to modern medicine they can rebuild us older athletes when things start coming undone. :)
Children
No Data