Torn biceps question

Former Member
Former Member
I tore my long biceps muscle from the shoulder while leaving the blocks at Nationals on Sunday. It is what is called a "proximal" (by the shoulder) tear of the "longer" of the two biceps muscles. If it were a "distal" tear, where the biceps attachs near the elbow, the standard course is surgery to reattach. This is not always the case with a proximal tear. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended no surgery for my tear. I will seek a second opinion as I have a two week window if I want to have it surgically reattached. My reason for posting is to ask if anyone has had a proximal (shoulder end) biceps tear. What did you do? I want to maintain swimming at an intense level and am not sure how much is lost if I do not have surgery. And I understand that even with surgery there are no guarantees of complete recovery. Any information about a biceps tear and treatment would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg Shaw
Parents
  • Hi Greg, Sorry I couldn't do both Trials and Nationals. Would haloed to catch up. Re your problem. I had my right biceps tendon reattached in 2001 operation that included rotator cuff repair. The reason I opted for this procedure was that the recovery was about the same length as for the rotator cuff. The outcome was fine. In 2005 I messed up my left labrum and the MRI indicated my left biceps tendon was hanging by a thread, so I decided to just have it released as the recovery was much shorter and matched my labrum recovery. As with the reattachment, the outcome was perfect. Zero problems with a much shorter recovery. Send me a pm or call if you need more details Rich
  • Hi Greg, Sorry I couldn't do both Trials and Nationals. Would haloed to catch up. Re your problem. I had my right biceps tendon reattached in 2001 operation that included rotator cuff repair. The reason I opted for this procedure was that the recovery was about the same length as for the rotator cuff. The outcome was fine. In 2005 I messed up my left labrum and the MRI indicated my left biceps tendon was hanging by a thread, so I decided to just have it released as the recovery was much shorter and matched my labrum recovery. As with the reattachment, the outcome was perfect. Zero problems with a much shorter recovery. Send me a pm or call if you need more details Rich
Children
No Data