Torn biceps question

Former Member
Former Member
I tore my long biceps muscle from the shoulder while leaving the blocks at Nationals on Sunday. It is what is called a "proximal" (by the shoulder) tear of the "longer" of the two biceps muscles. If it were a "distal" tear, where the biceps attachs near the elbow, the standard course is surgery to reattach. This is not always the case with a proximal tear. I just saw an orthopedic surgeon who recommended no surgery for my tear. I will seek a second opinion as I have a two week window if I want to have it surgically reattached. My reason for posting is to ask if anyone has had a proximal (shoulder end) biceps tear. What did you do? I want to maintain swimming at an intense level and am not sure how much is lost if I do not have surgery. And I understand that even with surgery there are no guarantees of complete recovery. Any information about a biceps tear and treatment would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg Shaw
Parents
  • I don't have any experience with such an injury but if it were me (totally non-medical person) I would be get the second opinion asap so that your on this side of the 2 week window. What happened when it snapped, did you still swim the event or did you notice it right away? Just curious if I had once torn mine years back arm wrestling.
  • I don't have any experience with such an injury but if it were me (totally non-medical person) I would be get the second opinion asap so that your on this side of the 2 week window. What happened when it snapped, did you still swim the event or did you notice it right away? Just curious if I had once torn mine years back arm wrestling.
Children
No Data