Lifeguard certification question

I have been trying to find a viable lifeguarding certification class for almost 2 years now. I live in a small town in Western Massachusetts and the classes I have managed to find are either typically cancelled because of under-enrollment, or, geared toward high school student so meet at times like 3-5 every day for 8 weeks. That doesn't work for me as a woman with a job and a kid. I've tried to hire someone for a private certification course, to no avail, and am really at the end of my rope! So, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this place: New England Lifeguard Certification www.nelifeguardcertificationcourses.com/NE_Lifeguard.html I'm not looking to work at a beach or pool, just want to this for peace of mind since my husband and I have a 25-yard lap pool in our backyard. My coach says that obvious, the swimming part will be no problem and this place would allow me to study online, then go to a testing site when ready. Any knowledge about this place or feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!
Parents
  • You have a 25 yard pool in your backyard!!! You rock!!! I obtained my Pool Lifeguard Certification though a local Parks and Recreation Department (Huntington Beach, CA) which was running a program in conjunction with the American Red Cross No age limit, however I was the oldest in the class. It was hilarious, but you know, I was surprised at how much I had to offer when it came to CPR/First Aid. I knew more than I had I anticipated just from life experiences. The class instructors had informed me that the Red Cross updates the course every two-thee years. CPR has changed big time since the last time I was CPR certified. Check your area for a Private Certification course. I am sure one is available. The Lifeguarding courses in my area were during winter so the Lifeguard prospects could be certified by summer. They were not hirable without the First Aid/CPR, and WSI certifications. I eventually worked towards, and received, four Red Cross Certifications in the space of four months: Lifeguard (Pool) First Aid/CPR Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Swimming Fundamentals I also learned that City vs County Pool Lifeguards in the Los Angeles area are trained differently, and of course Ocean Lifeguards go through different training than Pool Lifeguards. Its all good. Go for it. It will give you peace of mind. Then you have a reason to purchase Lifeguard swimsuits, or you could do what I did have have a custom Lifeguard swimsuit made. I custom ordered a fire engine red Lifeguard swim brief. What was my motivation? Seeing someone have a heart attack in a pool during a swim meet. My Red Cross cards are in my backpack at all times. Regards,
  • You have a 25 yard pool in your backyard!!! You rock!!! I obtained my Pool Lifeguard Certification though a local Parks and Recreation Department (Huntington Beach, CA) which was running a program in conjunction with the American Red Cross No age limit, however I was the oldest in the class. It was hilarious, but you know, I was surprised at how much I had to offer when it came to CPR/First Aid. I knew more than I had I anticipated just from life experiences. The class instructors had informed me that the Red Cross updates the course every two-thee years. CPR has changed big time since the last time I was CPR certified. Check your area for a Private Certification course. I am sure one is available. The Lifeguarding courses in my area were during winter so the Lifeguard prospects could be certified by summer. They were not hirable without the First Aid/CPR, and WSI certifications. I eventually worked towards, and received, four Red Cross Certifications in the space of four months: Lifeguard (Pool) First Aid/CPR Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Swimming Fundamentals I also learned that City vs County Pool Lifeguards in the Los Angeles area are trained differently, and of course Ocean Lifeguards go through different training than Pool Lifeguards. Its all good. Go for it. It will give you peace of mind. Then you have a reason to purchase Lifeguard swimsuits, or you could do what I did have have a custom Lifeguard swimsuit made. I custom ordered a fire engine red Lifeguard swim brief. What was my motivation? Seeing someone have a heart attack in a pool during a swim meet. My Red Cross cards are in my backpack at all times. Regards,
Children
No Data