Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Just learned I will need total knee replacement surgery for both knees "sooner than later" as the doc said. If any of you out there have gone through this surgery, I'll appreciate hearing about your experience. In particular, how long did it take you to get back to work, and back into the pool? How long before your knee(s) were pain free while swimming (and turning!)? Are you happy you had the surgery? Did you experience any problems with blood loss? How long did you go to physical therapy? Anything else I should know before signing up for this? :confused: Thanks!
Parents
  • SwimYBO - Sorry to take so long to reply - I didn't see your post until yesterday. Yes, my Total Knee Replacement and recovery has gone very well. The pain reduction was extremely well worth it. It has been just over 3 years, and I told someone yesterday that probably 99% of the time I don't even notice the new knee. Now the other one is another story - I will have to have it replaced sooner than later, but it is not yet as painful as the one I had replaced. I worked hard, and successfully, in physical therapy to get my range of motion back, much better than prior to the surgery, at least 130 degrees by the time I left PT, maybe more now. I was back in the water as soon as the surgeon allowed (about 1 month post-surgery, essentially after the incision was fully healed). I do have to take an antibiotic before every visit to the dentist. My surgeon did not recommend doing both knees at the same time, although he did give me that option. From what I understand, the recovery time is longer. Also, I was able to go home the day after surgery, whereas I have heard that with both knees done at the same day, one has to go to a rehab facility for about 2 weeks. I was uncomfortable enough during recovery and PT with one knee, and can't imagine how miserable I would have felt trying to recover from both at the same time. I swim whenever I want, and do flip turns at every turn, but for other reasons, I have not competed in about 5 years. If I choose to do so in the future, I am certain I will not have any issues with the knee. Good luck with your decision - let me know how it goes.
  • SwimYBO - Sorry to take so long to reply - I didn't see your post until yesterday. Yes, my Total Knee Replacement and recovery has gone very well. The pain reduction was extremely well worth it. It has been just over 3 years, and I told someone yesterday that probably 99% of the time I don't even notice the new knee. Now the other one is another story - I will have to have it replaced sooner than later, but it is not yet as painful as the one I had replaced. I worked hard, and successfully, in physical therapy to get my range of motion back, much better than prior to the surgery, at least 130 degrees by the time I left PT, maybe more now. I was back in the water as soon as the surgeon allowed (about 1 month post-surgery, essentially after the incision was fully healed). I do have to take an antibiotic before every visit to the dentist. My surgeon did not recommend doing both knees at the same time, although he did give me that option. From what I understand, the recovery time is longer. Also, I was able to go home the day after surgery, whereas I have heard that with both knees done at the same day, one has to go to a rehab facility for about 2 weeks. I was uncomfortable enough during recovery and PT with one knee, and can't imagine how miserable I would have felt trying to recover from both at the same time. I swim whenever I want, and do flip turns at every turn, but for other reasons, I have not competed in about 5 years. If I choose to do so in the future, I am certain I will not have any issues with the knee. Good luck with your decision - let me know how it goes.
Children
No Data