Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Just learned I will need total knee replacement surgery for both knees "sooner than later" as the doc said. If any of you out there have gone through this surgery, I'll appreciate hearing about your experience. In particular, how long did it take you to get back to work, and back into the pool? How long before your knee(s) were pain free while swimming (and turning!)? Are you happy you had the surgery? Did you experience any problems with blood loss? How long did you go to physical therapy? Anything else I should know before signing up for this? :confused: Thanks!
Parents
  • Thanks for your responses to my post about a total knee replacement. I had my right knee replaced on June 25. So far the knee is doing great! After 2 weeks I was able to start physical therapy, and got back in the water twice last week. However, I didn't expect that the rest of me would feel so crummy! I finally had to admit that 1) I really did have major surgery, and 2) I'm not as young as I remember. One surprise was the amount of bruising totally covering the back on my upper leg, apparently from the tourniquet used to prevent blood loss. Related to that was the muscular pain in my upper leg, again apparently due to the tourniquet. That pain is finally subsiding, thank goodness, and the bruising was gone between weeks 1 and 2. bbpolhill - thanks for your comments. Sharing your experience has helped me a lot in knowing what to expect, and so far, I can say you are right on. I'm still not pushing off with both legs or doing flip turns. Fatigue, whether after swimming or trying to go into work for a few hours at a time, is a real issue. A pain pill and a nap after PT and work help a lot. :bed: Having a boss who lets me do a lot of my work from home right now has been invaluable. FlowersandFood - thanks for the cost calculator info. Fortunately for this knee, I'm still covered by my employer-provided insurance. I'll be relying on Medicare (if it's still around) for the other knee, and don't know how that will change my share of the costs. oldwahoo - So far, I'm in the "love it" category, as the primary excruciating knee pain is gone. Just have the residual pain from trying to get back the range of motion. I had asked about the Dara Torres type of surgery, where, if I remember/understand it correctly, she had her own cartilage grown from some cells, and then implanted into her knee. However, I was told my knees are too far gone for that. But...as you say, maybe in another 3-7 years stem cell regeneration will be a reality. Thanks for the link to the Aussie firm working on that.
  • Thanks for your responses to my post about a total knee replacement. I had my right knee replaced on June 25. So far the knee is doing great! After 2 weeks I was able to start physical therapy, and got back in the water twice last week. However, I didn't expect that the rest of me would feel so crummy! I finally had to admit that 1) I really did have major surgery, and 2) I'm not as young as I remember. One surprise was the amount of bruising totally covering the back on my upper leg, apparently from the tourniquet used to prevent blood loss. Related to that was the muscular pain in my upper leg, again apparently due to the tourniquet. That pain is finally subsiding, thank goodness, and the bruising was gone between weeks 1 and 2. bbpolhill - thanks for your comments. Sharing your experience has helped me a lot in knowing what to expect, and so far, I can say you are right on. I'm still not pushing off with both legs or doing flip turns. Fatigue, whether after swimming or trying to go into work for a few hours at a time, is a real issue. A pain pill and a nap after PT and work help a lot. :bed: Having a boss who lets me do a lot of my work from home right now has been invaluable. FlowersandFood - thanks for the cost calculator info. Fortunately for this knee, I'm still covered by my employer-provided insurance. I'll be relying on Medicare (if it's still around) for the other knee, and don't know how that will change my share of the costs. oldwahoo - So far, I'm in the "love it" category, as the primary excruciating knee pain is gone. Just have the residual pain from trying to get back the range of motion. I had asked about the Dara Torres type of surgery, where, if I remember/understand it correctly, she had her own cartilage grown from some cells, and then implanted into her knee. However, I was told my knees are too far gone for that. But...as you say, maybe in another 3-7 years stem cell regeneration will be a reality. Thanks for the link to the Aussie firm working on that.
Children
No Data