Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Just learned I will need total knee replacement surgery for both knees "sooner than later" as the doc said. If any of you out there have gone through this surgery, I'll appreciate hearing about your experience. In particular, how long did it take you to get back to work, and back into the pool? How long before your knee(s) were pain free while swimming (and turning!)? Are you happy you had the surgery? Did you experience any problems with blood loss? How long did you go to physical therapy? Anything else I should know before signing up for this? :confused: Thanks!
Parents
  • I'm in a similar boat, but have heard mixed comments from those who have had it done - some love it, some have middle of the road comments, some wish they had not done it. I'm not yet at the must have point, and in discussions with my othopedist, I am using a knee brace type device, and when that alone is not bearable, will go Cortisone, then when that fails will go with a relatively recent injectible lubricant - the doc thinks that can buy 2-3 years, and by then, there is a good chance that stem cell regeneration will be a reality and surgery can be avoided. Most estimates are that we are 3-7 years away from viable stem cell regeneration. Check out the website for www.mesoblast.com - an Australian firm that is ahead of the US and has secured major investments from international pharma. They claim: "The exceptional results of preclinical cartilage trials have shown that a single injection of Mesoblast’s allogeneic cell product, RepliCartTm, into knee joints damaged by osteoarthritis can prevent further deterioration and regenerate and regrow cartilage tissue lining the damaged joint. Mesoblast’s clinical trials are ongoing." There are other firms also working to perfect this treatment, so its just a matter of when. getting back the knees of your youth would certainly beat a replacement.
  • I'm in a similar boat, but have heard mixed comments from those who have had it done - some love it, some have middle of the road comments, some wish they had not done it. I'm not yet at the must have point, and in discussions with my othopedist, I am using a knee brace type device, and when that alone is not bearable, will go Cortisone, then when that fails will go with a relatively recent injectible lubricant - the doc thinks that can buy 2-3 years, and by then, there is a good chance that stem cell regeneration will be a reality and surgery can be avoided. Most estimates are that we are 3-7 years away from viable stem cell regeneration. Check out the website for www.mesoblast.com - an Australian firm that is ahead of the US and has secured major investments from international pharma. They claim: "The exceptional results of preclinical cartilage trials have shown that a single injection of Mesoblast’s allogeneic cell product, RepliCartTm, into knee joints damaged by osteoarthritis can prevent further deterioration and regenerate and regrow cartilage tissue lining the damaged joint. Mesoblast’s clinical trials are ongoing." There are other firms also working to perfect this treatment, so its just a matter of when. getting back the knees of your youth would certainly beat a replacement.
Children
No Data