Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Just learned I will need total knee replacement surgery for both knees "sooner than later" as the doc said. If any of you out there have gone through this surgery, I'll appreciate hearing about your experience. In particular, how long did it take you to get back to work, and back into the pool? How long before your knee(s) were pain free while swimming (and turning!)? Are you happy you had the surgery? Did you experience any problems with blood loss? How long did you go to physical therapy? Anything else I should know before signing up for this? :confused: Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    If it helps, I personally haven't had a total knee replacement but my grandfather has. He says it's one of the best decisions he's ever made too. It took about a full year before he was able to get up and move pain free but the wait was worth it he says. The problem we faced was cost but I found a calculator that might help you if that's one of your concerns. Honestly it really helped us understand our bill when we got it. Unfortunately in our area there aren't that many doctors that are able to do this type of surgery around here so we have to take what we can get, the biggest downsides is our insurance didn't cover him and we'd have to drive miles and miles away to get to another one so we decided based on everything, it was more efficient to pay out of pocket for everything. However, if we would have known about this calculator sooner we might have considered something else. It lets you customize it to your age, insurance and pre-exisiting conditions and most importantly, your location. I'll share this with you and I hope it helps, good luck with everyhing!! www.healthline.com/.../costs
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    If it helps, I personally haven't had a total knee replacement but my grandfather has. He says it's one of the best decisions he's ever made too. It took about a full year before he was able to get up and move pain free but the wait was worth it he says. The problem we faced was cost but I found a calculator that might help you if that's one of your concerns. Honestly it really helped us understand our bill when we got it. Unfortunately in our area there aren't that many doctors that are able to do this type of surgery around here so we have to take what we can get, the biggest downsides is our insurance didn't cover him and we'd have to drive miles and miles away to get to another one so we decided based on everything, it was more efficient to pay out of pocket for everything. However, if we would have known about this calculator sooner we might have considered something else. It lets you customize it to your age, insurance and pre-exisiting conditions and most importantly, your location. I'll share this with you and I hope it helps, good luck with everyhing!! www.healthline.com/.../costs
Children
No Data