Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Third, I feel supplemental resistance training out of the water, especially for masters swimmers, will benefit both their swimming and help them age successfully in living day-to-day. Not only is your muscle mass decreasing as you age but your neural transmissions become compromised. Correctly designed dryland training (along with intense swimming) can greatly forestall these eventualities. I feel that as you age, maintaining strength through resistance training is as, or more, important than cardiovascular training. Spoken like a true sprinter! This pretty sums it up for me. I do weights (not purely for strength) because they are part of a balanced approach to fitness and health. To a certain extent I don't care if they help me swim faster or not. However, I know that they help me, because I can pop to the gym for 35-40 minutes a few times a week, while I can't fit in three more 60 minute plus swim training sessions. As a masters swimmer, swimming fits around life, rather than the other way around. On that basis, I'd prefer to split weights and swimming, but forced to choose I'd do weights first. On another note, I've just installed TRX (suspension trainer) in my basement and am starting to experiment with that. I suspect that I will continue to do weights, but add in more frequent, short TRX sessions for core work and for more variety in general.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Third, I feel supplemental resistance training out of the water, especially for masters swimmers, will benefit both their swimming and help them age successfully in living day-to-day. Not only is your muscle mass decreasing as you age but your neural transmissions become compromised. Correctly designed dryland training (along with intense swimming) can greatly forestall these eventualities. I feel that as you age, maintaining strength through resistance training is as, or more, important than cardiovascular training. Spoken like a true sprinter! This pretty sums it up for me. I do weights (not purely for strength) because they are part of a balanced approach to fitness and health. To a certain extent I don't care if they help me swim faster or not. However, I know that they help me, because I can pop to the gym for 35-40 minutes a few times a week, while I can't fit in three more 60 minute plus swim training sessions. As a masters swimmer, swimming fits around life, rather than the other way around. On that basis, I'd prefer to split weights and swimming, but forced to choose I'd do weights first. On another note, I've just installed TRX (suspension trainer) in my basement and am starting to experiment with that. I suspect that I will continue to do weights, but add in more frequent, short TRX sessions for core work and for more variety in general.
Children
No Data