Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Starts and turns are not swimming. For that matter any resistance training alters stroke mechanics. Put on a pair of fins, swim, then take them off. Does your arm/leg rhythm feel the same? You're putting out more force for a brief period as you became comfortable with doing so... but unless you learned to do this in conjunction with what the rest of your body is doing, you can't train separate components and glue them together into 1 faster stroke. Last time I checked, starts and turns were an enormous part of "swimming." This is especially so given that the vast majority of masters racing is in short course. Are you sure about the second proposition or just cogitating? In my own experience, I haven't found this to be true. Look, fast swimming involves quite a bit of innate talent. Strength is not a substitute for talent, technique or high intensity training. (Btw, you'd probably get more bang for your buck if you did some of those 25s @ 3:00 instead of 1:00.) But I don't agree with your analyses or conclusion that strength is largely superfluous. And I agree with Gaash that many masters, probably due to time and life constraints, are underachieving wrt lifting. (People may also be underachieving wrt to yoga and flexibility as well.)
  • Starts and turns are not swimming. For that matter any resistance training alters stroke mechanics. Put on a pair of fins, swim, then take them off. Does your arm/leg rhythm feel the same? You're putting out more force for a brief period as you became comfortable with doing so... but unless you learned to do this in conjunction with what the rest of your body is doing, you can't train separate components and glue them together into 1 faster stroke. Last time I checked, starts and turns were an enormous part of "swimming." This is especially so given that the vast majority of masters racing is in short course. Are you sure about the second proposition or just cogitating? In my own experience, I haven't found this to be true. Look, fast swimming involves quite a bit of innate talent. Strength is not a substitute for talent, technique or high intensity training. (Btw, you'd probably get more bang for your buck if you did some of those 25s @ 3:00 instead of 1:00.) But I don't agree with your analyses or conclusion that strength is largely superfluous. And I agree with Gaash that many masters, probably due to time and life constraints, are underachieving wrt lifting. (People may also be underachieving wrt to yoga and flexibility as well.)
Children
No Data