Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    There is a point where strength benefits do not help in swimming, that is for sure, and it probably depends on many factors including stroke efficiency, height, stroke (sprint breaststrokers seem to benefit the most from lifting if I had to guess) but I think, SwimBRCT, you vastly overestimate how many people reach that point and how quickly they reach it, particularly when it comes to women. I agree w/you 100% on the overtraining by the way. However, gains from lifting translate to other activities as there are certain neural muscular/central nervous system improvements to the body that simply cannot be attained with any efficiency without lifting heavy weight.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    There is a point where strength benefits do not help in swimming, that is for sure, and it probably depends on many factors including stroke efficiency, height, stroke (sprint breaststrokers seem to benefit the most from lifting if I had to guess) but I think, SwimBRCT, you vastly overestimate how many people reach that point and how quickly they reach it, particularly when it comes to women. I agree w/you 100% on the overtraining by the way. However, gains from lifting translate to other activities as there are certain neural muscular/central nervous system improvements to the body that simply cannot be attained with any efficiency without lifting heavy weight.
Children
No Data