Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Resistance training does produce changes in strength exercise performance and in the physiology of the muscles. However, its effects are specific to the training exercises and do not transfer positively to the sport for which they are "intended." Some of the reasons for failure of land-based training are: the resistance activities do not mimic the movement path or action speed of swimming; muscular actions in the exercises are in coordinated patterns that have no commonality with crawlstroke swimming; and the distributions of forces in land-training exercises are different to those of swimming. This is a myth. Strength training with compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pull ups, clean and jerk, etc) will always transfer to sports. Almost all athletes in pretty much every sport are doing weight training and benefiting A LOT from it. It's just swimming that's stuck with this retrograde notion that strength training must come from exercises that are exactly like what you do in the water. The authors warned that land-based resistance training exercises may alter stroke mechanics. Source: coachsci.sdsu.edu/.../tanaka.htm What? How exactly? Costill attributes the lack of specificity in the land training to the lack of transfer. He stated: "You can gain strength by swimming. If you want to overload the muscle then do sprint swimming." No, you can't. To gain strength you need resistance. Water does not provide enough resistance to develop max strength, period. Those studies are also quite laughable, for reasons that gaash already explained. Lochte, Phelps and all serious swimmers are doing it. You should too. Ryan Lochte Training Secrets - YouTube Ryan Lochte Training - YouTube Ryan Lochte Power Circuit 2 G-Fit Jeah! - YouTube
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Resistance training does produce changes in strength exercise performance and in the physiology of the muscles. However, its effects are specific to the training exercises and do not transfer positively to the sport for which they are "intended." Some of the reasons for failure of land-based training are: the resistance activities do not mimic the movement path or action speed of swimming; muscular actions in the exercises are in coordinated patterns that have no commonality with crawlstroke swimming; and the distributions of forces in land-training exercises are different to those of swimming. This is a myth. Strength training with compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pull ups, clean and jerk, etc) will always transfer to sports. Almost all athletes in pretty much every sport are doing weight training and benefiting A LOT from it. It's just swimming that's stuck with this retrograde notion that strength training must come from exercises that are exactly like what you do in the water. The authors warned that land-based resistance training exercises may alter stroke mechanics. Source: coachsci.sdsu.edu/.../tanaka.htm What? How exactly? Costill attributes the lack of specificity in the land training to the lack of transfer. He stated: "You can gain strength by swimming. If you want to overload the muscle then do sprint swimming." No, you can't. To gain strength you need resistance. Water does not provide enough resistance to develop max strength, period. Those studies are also quite laughable, for reasons that gaash already explained. Lochte, Phelps and all serious swimmers are doing it. You should too. Ryan Lochte Training Secrets - YouTube Ryan Lochte Training - YouTube Ryan Lochte Power Circuit 2 G-Fit Jeah! - YouTube
Children
No Data