Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Swimming right after lifting never worked for me. My muscles got so pumped that I was too stiff to swim, couldn't streamline; and I was too tired to hold good form. I got better results from lifting before work, then swimming after work. This is the same with me. I usually swim with the team before work, and lift after work. Occasionally I'll do a cool-down swim after lifting in the gym pool, but nothing fancy or elaborate, maybe 300-500 yards. I've tried swimming after running with the same results. My legs get so fried from running, that they're of little use for swimming too. But a 3-500 cool down feels really good after a tough run :) I do find that I need some sort of warm-up before lifting. That could be a short (20 min) treadmill run, time on the elliptical, bike, or nearly any cardio that the gym has. I guess swimming would work there, but I try to limit the number of costume changes at the gym.
  • Swimming right after lifting never worked for me. My muscles got so pumped that I was too stiff to swim, couldn't streamline; and I was too tired to hold good form. I got better results from lifting before work, then swimming after work. This is the same with me. I usually swim with the team before work, and lift after work. Occasionally I'll do a cool-down swim after lifting in the gym pool, but nothing fancy or elaborate, maybe 300-500 yards. I've tried swimming after running with the same results. My legs get so fried from running, that they're of little use for swimming too. But a 3-500 cool down feels really good after a tough run :) I do find that I need some sort of warm-up before lifting. That could be a short (20 min) treadmill run, time on the elliptical, bike, or nearly any cardio that the gym has. I guess swimming would work there, but I try to limit the number of costume changes at the gym.
Children
No Data