Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • But if you can't really hit it in the gym, your 50 and 100 *** times will suffer. From your vids it seems like you need much more power in the water. If I were you, I'd cut out a swim and only lift on that day. 6x a week of swimming isn't really necessary for your events. That said, you need to do what's fun for you. 6X per week is what I like to hit, though I don't always (or even usually, nowadays) get there. I'm not going to argue with Fort or Elaine about whether it is necessary. If I had to choose I would probably go with weights then swim; indeed, I did this for many years. Yes, your swimming "suffers" a bit. But what does that mean, exactly? It means your times are a little slower because you are tired. I do not believe that it means you aren't getting as much physiological benefit/training from the swimming, unless the fatigue prevents you from exerting as much effort in the pool. Indeed, "overcoming" the weights and swimming fast regardless could itself be a good training method. Imagine how fast you'll be after stopping the weights and tapering! But my advice would be at least to mix it up a bit: sometimes do weights first, sometimes swimming first. I don't see any reason you shouldn't lift before the slow/DPS workout, for example.
  • But if you can't really hit it in the gym, your 50 and 100 *** times will suffer. From your vids it seems like you need much more power in the water. If I were you, I'd cut out a swim and only lift on that day. 6x a week of swimming isn't really necessary for your events. That said, you need to do what's fun for you. 6X per week is what I like to hit, though I don't always (or even usually, nowadays) get there. I'm not going to argue with Fort or Elaine about whether it is necessary. If I had to choose I would probably go with weights then swim; indeed, I did this for many years. Yes, your swimming "suffers" a bit. But what does that mean, exactly? It means your times are a little slower because you are tired. I do not believe that it means you aren't getting as much physiological benefit/training from the swimming, unless the fatigue prevents you from exerting as much effort in the pool. Indeed, "overcoming" the weights and swimming fast regardless could itself be a good training method. Imagine how fast you'll be after stopping the weights and tapering! But my advice would be at least to mix it up a bit: sometimes do weights first, sometimes swimming first. I don't see any reason you shouldn't lift before the slow/DPS workout, for example.
Children
No Data