Swimming after liftin'

Former Member
Former Member
Never tried it myself. Is there a certain kind of workout that is more advisable? I was thinking do some quick sprints as I don't want to be at the gym for 3 hours but I don't want to hurt myself either.
Parents
  • Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and feedback. My goal has been to regularly follow Ande's suggestion of 6x/week of swimming and 3x/wk of weights and strengthening. I don't always make that third time, but I absolutely LOVE getting my six days in the pool, even if Day 6 is long, slow DPS swimming. Since my M-W-F routine already takes up 3 hours of my day, I really feel that is the max I want to commit in order for it to work with my schedule, keep it FUN, and stay injury free. So, I either need to have weights follow my swims or the other way around, to make it work for me. So far, it has worked well- and better than not doing weights at all. It has been a workable compromise, even if not the most ideal. Perhaps I am not getting the most benefit out of doing weights after my swims, but I do feel I have gotten stronger by adding weights to my routine. I just wish it didn't take so darn long for me to warm up in the gym in the morning when I do weights without swimming first. For me, it takes a good half hour of fast walking... Bottom line: I guess if it ain't broke, I won't fix it. I'm in the James and Kirk camp and I really don't want my swimming to suffer three days per week!
  • Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and feedback. My goal has been to regularly follow Ande's suggestion of 6x/week of swimming and 3x/wk of weights and strengthening. I don't always make that third time, but I absolutely LOVE getting my six days in the pool, even if Day 6 is long, slow DPS swimming. Since my M-W-F routine already takes up 3 hours of my day, I really feel that is the max I want to commit in order for it to work with my schedule, keep it FUN, and stay injury free. So, I either need to have weights follow my swims or the other way around, to make it work for me. So far, it has worked well- and better than not doing weights at all. It has been a workable compromise, even if not the most ideal. Perhaps I am not getting the most benefit out of doing weights after my swims, but I do feel I have gotten stronger by adding weights to my routine. I just wish it didn't take so darn long for me to warm up in the gym in the morning when I do weights without swimming first. For me, it takes a good half hour of fast walking... Bottom line: I guess if it ain't broke, I won't fix it. I'm in the James and Kirk camp and I really don't want my swimming to suffer three days per week!
Children
No Data