New to swimming...want to start off right!

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone! I am a runner who has discovered how much I like swimming! Right now, I am an on-again, off-again swimmer, only doing laps occasionally. Not too long ago my goal was to swim a mile non-stop, so I printed off Ruth Kazez "How to swim a mile in 6 weeks" (told ya I am a noob!). I am able to do that in around 30 minutes, which the lifeguard at the Y said wasn't a bad time, especially for a beginner (I'm happy about that, considering the first time I tried to swim, I was out of breath after 1 lap!). Anyway, as I said I enjoy swimming so much and I now want to get serious about it and perhaps even compete in some meets at some point down the road. A little more about me: I am a 45 yo female and I would consider myself pretty fit. In addition to running I do a pretty intense spin class at my gym a couple of days/week as well as a kettlebell, dumbbell, ropes circuit-style class 3-4 days/week. Truthfully, I don't enjoy running very much anymore (I have a history of running-related injuries, which is why I started swimming in the first place) and would gladly spend more time in the pool than I do on the road! As the title of my thread indicates, I don't really know how to get started. Everything I've read about new swimmers stresses how important a couple of lessons are. (I only swim freestyle - is that also called front crawl? - since I don't know how to swim any other stroke). Unfortunately we don't have a master's swim group in my city, so I was thinking once I learn proper form, I will do a little more research and figure out some drills, etc. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Parents
  • Those recommending lessons are right. Instant feedback about proper and improper technique is very helpful. If that is not possible, there are so many helpful postings online, through USMS, through goswim.tv, through swimsmooth.org (maybe a different .something) just to name a few. Using available references from online sources, you will be able to compare video of yourself, both above and below water. I believe you should not ignore the other strokes entirely, as there are so many small technique points that cross stroke lines, like posture, head position, hands, elbows and rotation. Perhaps you could travel to a USMS clinic, or to another location that specializes in stroke technique and video feedback like SwimLabs in Colorado. There is a short reference to SwimLabs in an article about its founder on page 9 of the Sept/Oct USMS Swimmer magazine. This isn't a plug for the company, but I swam with the founder in college, and it is true, he is faster now than then! Try to get the proper technique down early, and use video, both of you and other good swimmers. Copy those good swimmers! Most importantly, have fun.:agree:
  • Those recommending lessons are right. Instant feedback about proper and improper technique is very helpful. If that is not possible, there are so many helpful postings online, through USMS, through goswim.tv, through swimsmooth.org (maybe a different .something) just to name a few. Using available references from online sources, you will be able to compare video of yourself, both above and below water. I believe you should not ignore the other strokes entirely, as there are so many small technique points that cross stroke lines, like posture, head position, hands, elbows and rotation. Perhaps you could travel to a USMS clinic, or to another location that specializes in stroke technique and video feedback like SwimLabs in Colorado. There is a short reference to SwimLabs in an article about its founder on page 9 of the Sept/Oct USMS Swimmer magazine. This isn't a plug for the company, but I swam with the founder in college, and it is true, he is faster now than then! Try to get the proper technique down early, and use video, both of you and other good swimmers. Copy those good swimmers! Most importantly, have fun.:agree:
Children
No Data